Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any info appreciated; unit etc. Thank you

Twenty1

An elderly subaltern of the Queen’s Own Oxfordshire Hussars Yeomanry.  The cypher on the sabretache refers to Queen Adelaide.  Both King Edward VII and Winston Churchill were directly associated with the regiment.  It was socially extremely exclusive.  I would date the photo to between 1880 and 1890, because of the rounded front to the collar.  Elements of the regiment were reputed to have been the very first Territorial Force soldiers to exchange fire with the enemy in 1914.

E2FDB514-0E17-481C-B228-63CE210C2BB9.jpeg

6E2BC64E-A92B-4DC3-9BB0-EF3BE4DDB87E.jpeg

58941373-CDF5-42A3-92C1-55E0F73C1257.jpeg

C969BED1-2DCC-44C2-9C0B-C0FE12121CB1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

He could almost be the soldier shown in the Simkin's illustration.

Serious moustache. Great image.

This is extraordinarily helpful!  Thank you so very much.  Frogsmile, not only is your reply Incredibly helpful, it is very kind of you to go to so much trouble.  And yes Waddell.  There is a very close likeness indeed to the illustration.  You have my appetite well and truly ravenous to explore further.  My most grateful thanks to you.

4 hours ago, Twenty1 said:

Is there any access available to the Simpkins illustration on the internet?  Or where I would be able to view it?

Yes, it’s a part of the Anne S K Brown Repository, a wonderful American woman who owned a large military collection and with typical American generosity, as a part of her legacy, made it available Online free-of-charge to the general public: https://repository.library.brown.edu/iiif/image/bdr:229610/full/4092,/0/default.jpg

The image is enlargeable.  You might also like these:

1.  http://www.uniformology.com/BR-SIMKIN-1/131_-_Oxfordshire_Hussars.jpg

2.  https://i.pinimg.com/originals/28/49/1c/28491c9cfc18cf1dd3b89e1d98f96261.jpg

The Regiment had some unusual uniform features, each step in commissioned rank added a huge amount of extra silver bullion lace to the cuffs, which had to be financed by the individual officer, emphasising the social exclusivity, as it would have been unaffordable for many.  In levee dress and review order facing coloured pantaloons were worn along with the regimental pattern of Hessian boots.  The officers also had a leopard skin saddle cover. In peacetime they were the epitome of showy, ‘chocolate box’ soldiery, but in both world wars they served honourably and effectively.

751078D9-977C-49FE-B809-923546F3A140.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Well first I must thank you again Frogsmile but yes, thank you indeed Anne S K Brown. Such generosity.

Self financed silver cuffs and leopard skin covers.  Goodness!!!!!  You do realise that you are getting me not only introduced to but hooked on military history now do you?! 

Thank you.

As an aside, Major Valentine Fleming, DSO, MP, was killed serving with the regiment in 1917. His son, Ian, is perhaps better remembered.

Steven (sorry, I don’t know how to reply to individual comments).  I am a little lost.  Is that one of the Fleming you mention on the horse?

2 hours ago, Twenty1 said:

Steven (sorry, I don’t know how to reply to individual comments).  I am a little lost.  Is that one of the Fleming you mention on the horse?

Hi,

I think Steve is alluding to Ian Fleming - author of James Bond books - no connection to the picture you’ve shared.

Steve

2 hours ago, Twenty1 said:

No. As I said, it was an aside, but I thought it might give you a 'feel' for the regiment: an MP serving with them. And, yes, Ian Fleming of James Bond fame.

To respond to individual comments, click on the 'Quote' box below the comment; that brings the comment up in a box as in this one. Then type your response beneath (bout outside the box containing the quoted comment)