Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

alantwo

Whilst replying to another post, I came across the image below from the 1/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers War Diary on Ancestry for the end of December. As you will see they came across the bodies and identity discs of men from the Manchester Regiment. The Royal Scots had occupied trenches G11Y and G11Z on 29th thus the remains would presumably been found nearby.

I hope it is of interest.

Regards

Alan

27675936_ManchesterCasualties.jpg.15eb9bebbdcbefbc5cea51e4ba7e1753.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon Sir,

Staying safe in these rather unprecedented times.

I had a Great Uncle KIA while serving with the 1/7th Battalion The Manchester Regiment even though i can possibly narrow down the circumstances of his death i cannot be sure.

He lost his life in September and at this time the Turks were exploding mines and men were buried alive. However at the same time (possibly) a trench mortar round fired by another friendly unit landed upon them. 3 were killed and 4 wounded. CWGC have a date of death for my Uncle of 19/09/1915 if this is the case then he must have died of wounds received.

Major Hurst who was the OCat the time (i presume) did not list the individual casualties. Other Battalion diaries have the soldiers listed being Mancunian my research goes on and i will endeavour to follow up the list of names of those found by the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Regards, Ian  

• 3 weeks later...