Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Scottish Regt?

Bigmull

Can anyone shed some light as to which Regiment the Scottish chap could be,also i am sure he shouldnt be wearing White Spats and the White Sporran with the Kilt Campaign Cover.

Many Thanks.

91495772_10217449898575707_2289202935814422528_n.jpg

Gordon Highlanders I think. His spats are not white, but pale khaki drab canvas.  Spats were quite commonly worn early in the war.

BC6C70BF-6730-4953-990E-9FB5DD511B8A.jpeg

9DE65B16-E512-450E-92E0-54CBC4AFD203.jpeg

6A68F805-1327-448A-AEB9-F6923422D072.jpeg

9430CD94-7B39-4E6B-B11E-1EFB38D88DE6.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you very Much.I wonder if you could also shed light in the 2 Soldiers in the back.I assume the one with the bandolier is from a Mounted Yeomanry Regt,the other i guess the cap badge is too small to identify.The Soldier in the front on the right i am sure is a South Staffs man.

22 minutes ago, Bigmull said:

Thank you very Much.I wonder if you could also shed light in the 2 Soldiers in the back.I assume the one with the bandolier is from a Mounted Yeomanry Regt,the other i guess the cap badge is too small to identify.The Soldier in the front on the right i am sure is a South Staffs man.

The man with the bandolier could also be a driver. I do note that he has collar badges- shame they are not clearer.

Do you have a date for the image? It looks to be taken late in the war.

Scott

It's an interesting and curious collection of individuals in what appears to be someone's back yard.  I see the kilted soldier with Overseas Stripes suggesting it is not early in the war.  I agree with Frogsmile about the colour of the spats - they are not white.  The small fellow at the back seems to be in the dress of a period senior Boy Scout. Smacks of a family group photo to me - any clues on where it originated?

Edited by TullochArd

Am I seeing things?  I originally thought the Scottish soldier had his legs crossed but I now believe this isn't the case.  The leg that you see is his left leg - the spat buttons are worn on the outside.  It looks very much like he's missing his right leg. 

Difficult to say, but his left knee is at a strange angle so my money is on it being crossed over his right leg, with the latter hidden behind. If it is correct that he has only one leg, we can rule out the 1918 Grand Final of the Inter-regimental ar&e-kicking contest.

4 hours ago, Bigmull said:

I’m sorry I can’t really help further beyond agreeing with your comments, I think that the presence of collar badges suggests cavalry (yeomanry or regular) more than it does ASC.  Unfortunately by the standards of the day it’s a poor quality photo.  Overall it has the appearance of a family group, or perhaps a gathering of school friends.

It was a photo posted on one of my FB pages,so i have no further information on it.I am also of the mind that its a Family Photo of some kind.I also think the young lad is a Scout.Thanks for the hepl.

TullochArd,

his right knee is visible on the outer of his left calf, otherwise he’s got a beauty of a bruise.

Simon

1 hour ago, mancpal said:

TullochArd,

his right knee is visible on the outer of his left calf, otherwise he’s got a beauty of a bruise.

Simon

Yep Simon, sort of got it now ……… I think I see the silhouette of his right leg flashes behind his left leg now as well.  Clearly time to call it a day ……  is that a cheese plant front right? Ian.

Hosta actually,

Simon

12 hours ago, Bigmull said:

Apparently it was taken in the backyard of a House in Birmingham.

Got the backyard - for completeness what's the clue for Birmingham?  Thanks.  Ian.

10 hours ago, TullochArd said:

Got the backyard - for completeness what's the clue for Birmingham?  Thanks.  Ian.

The owner of the picture only knows that it was taken in Birmingham and was found among his great Grandfathers effects.

What about the nautical bloke on our left, with what looks like a bow tie tucked behind his turn-down collar?  Was that a period feature?

3 hours ago, Bigmull said:

The owner of the picture only knows that it was taken in Birmingham and was found among his great Grandfathers effects.

Pity.  Many thanks.