Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Photo

B_Brown1987

Well, the experts usually start by using the cap badges to identify the regiments represented.

You might start down that route.

Regards,

JMB

12 minutes ago, B_Brown1987 said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5NrehuzBRU39qT9VA

Hopefully the URL works. I found this photo in my Great Nana's photo album.  I've assumed it's from the Great War.

There is no information in the album as to who anyone is. Any idea how I would go about beginning to trace this unit or any individuals? 

Thank you. 

Hi,

the photo possibly shows men on a training course.

Any chance you could scan the photo (600dpi) as there is plenty of detail on show; cap badges, good conduct badges, rank stripes, trade badges, black "rifles" buttons etc.

9 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi,

the photo possibly shows men on a training course.

Any chance you could scan the photo (600dpi) as there is plenty of detail on show; cap badges, good conduct badges, rank stripes, trade badges, black "rifles" buttons etc.

I thought it possibly looked like a training course. I haven't got a scanner, I'm relying on my phone.

I can see if I can do a better scan of it. 

Looks like a variety of cap badges and I wonder what the white coats were for.  Frogsmile might know and be along soon

This album is very mixed, I traced a soldier who I found in the album (along with photos of his parents) he and his brother both died in the War. But not related, I think they were a family she served for. But I'm really know nothing about this photo. 

20200331_221801.jpg

20200331_221816.jpg

• Admin

Looks like some of them have general service buttons on their caps. As to the other cap badges, possibly Cheshire or East Yorkshire Regiment? 
Michelle 

I’m fairly sure it’s a Training Reserve (TR) unit of very young soldiers during the transitional period when the former regimental reserve units were converting to the new TR arrangements.  Those inducted into the TR under the new arrangements have the GS button (usually backed by a circle of red felt) as their cap badge, and those who’ve arrived from the old arrangements are still wearing the regimental cap badges with which they had been issued.  The white coats were issued to men working in the kitchens and bakeries.  The white woollen sweater with a collar is a common type issued for physical training in Winter, rather like a track suit top was used in more modern times.  
They are all notably young (even the sergeant) and I would wager that they are either, a ‘Young Soldier’, or ‘Graduated’ Battalion.

There are no wound stripes, and just a few marksmen and a single Lewis Gunner.  The sergeant and the few older men gathered at top centre with regimental cap badges look like they might be Border Regiment, but I’m looking on only a phone screen, and there appear to be some other cap badges too.

F7FE2F26-D698-4390-A49A-280FA79BBC42.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

There is also a name/address at bottom left hand corner of photo.

36 Norwood

Shipley ??

Regards,

JMB

1 minute ago, JMB1943 said:

36 Norwood

Shipley ??

Regards,

JMB

I'm afraid at the moment it's not yielded much. 

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m fairly sure it’s a Training Reserve (TR) unit of very young soldiers during the transitional period when the former regimental reserve units were converting to the new TR arrangements.  Those inducted into the TR under the new arrangements have the GS button (usually backed by a circle of red felt) as their cap badge, and those who’ve arrived from the old arrangements are still wearing the regimental cap badges with which they had been issued.

I'll have a closer squint. I did wonder about TR. 

Always impressive frogsmile and so interesting to read your detail

17 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

36 Norwood

Shipley ??

Regards,

JMB

There is aNorwood Rd in Shipley also just before that I think it says 

a or at lebrinton TC

changing light on the wording shows it a bit more

Edited by Alisonmallen62

The 1911 census has a boarder called Alfred Worsnop living as boarder at 36 Norwood Ave. Profession is photographer. So he appears to be the man who took the photograph.

22 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

36 Norwood

Shipley ??

Regards,

JMB

mark, Yes it does now look more like A Worsnop in a certain light before the address and I think I can see TC

Edited by Alisonmallen62

37 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

The 1911 census has a boarder called Alfred Worsnop living as boarder at 36 Norwood Ave. Profession is photographer. So he appears to be the man who took the photograph.

I did wonder if it was the photographer's address.

The question is where is the nearest TR camp to Shipley, as that might help to narrow down the unit? : https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/training-reserve/

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The question is where is the nearest TR camp to Shipley, as that might help to narrow down the unit? : https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/training-reserve/

That's really good thinking. 

I have no idea if any of the men in this photograph are family or not. I have no living relatives to ask now and no information in the photo album. 

It could be this is yet another picture of MICHAEL REGINALD KIRKMAN HODGSON who in the album there are several pictures of, also have photos of his Mother & Father or perhaps his brother. I can't pick him out however. 

I'm trying to dig up what information on my own family members I have that served. Like most families there were several, all from Norfolk on this side of the family. But I know that doesn't mean much. 

13 minutes ago, B_Brown1987 said:

That's really good thinking. 

I have no idea if any of the men in this photograph are family or not. I have no living relatives to ask now and no information in the photo album. 

It could be this is yet another picture of MICHAEL REGINALD KIRKMAN HODGSON who in the album there are several pictures of, also have photos of his Mother & Father or perhaps his brother. I can't pick him out however. 

I'm trying to dig up what information on my own family members I have that served. Like most families there were several, all from Norfolk on this side of the family. But I know that doesn't mean much. 

The camps are all listed in the link I posted. Presumably you can use logical geography to see which one Shipley is closest to. It’s unlikely that the photographer would travel a great distance from his studio.  You can also note the likely cap badges via the same process.

Edited by FROGSMILE

There has been a case on here recently where a soldier ( from Liverpool area I think) was photographed by a local identifiable photographer. As it transpired the picture was taken somewhere at the other end of the country, the photographer simply was to follow a group of new recruits and document their training presumably for the local rag. I do however think Frogsmiles reasoning would be far the more frequent.

Simon

31 minutes ago, mancpal said:

There has been a case on here recently where a soldier ( from Liverpool area I think) was photographed by a local identifiable photographer. As it transpired the picture was taken somewhere at the other end of the country, the photographer simply was to follow a group of new recruits and document their training presumably for the local rag. I do however think Frogsmiles reasoning would be far the more frequent.

Simon

Yes, there are always exceptions Simon, I agree, but as you surmised I’m referring to the most common circumstances at that time.  Beyond the railways there was not the same ease of travel that we have now.  I think that’s sometimes overlooked, or underestimated when we look at things through contemporary eyes.

Edited by FROGSMILE

31 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The camps are all listed in the link I posted. Presumably you can use logical geography to see which one Shipley is closest to. It’s unlikely that the photographer would travel a great distance from his studio.  You can also note the likely cap badges via the same process.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow (when I can hopefully get on the PC as the link wasn't easy to see on my mobile)

Thank you though.