Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family mystery solved due to Great War Forum

KAF

A year and a half ago, I joined the GWF in order, I hoped, to find out more about my great-uncle, William Henry Fry, before going to visit his grave. (See my post below) My hopes were exceeded! I was amazed by how fast the information came in. Not only did I find out which Clearing Station he died at, how long he probably served for - thus giving us his enlistment date - but I was told that there was an obituary in the South Wales Daily News, with a photo. That was a surprise. And there was a hidden clue to something of a mystery. My father had very thoroughly done his family history in the 1980's, but had not been able to find William Henry's birth certificate. I of course had the advantage of the internet - but had also got nowhere. Had he not been registered? I was looking at his Soldier's Effects entry, trying to work out what it all meant, when I noticed in a fainter hand, in brackets next to his middle name, the name Alfred. Why was his father's name written there? Or... was it his name? There was a William Alfred Fry born in Malmsbury at exactly the right time... so a bit of delving and - yes, that's our man. And when I finally did get to Cathays Library in Cardiff, in early March this year, I saw his picture - very blurred and smudgy, but him, and he's captioned William A Fry. What is this about? We'll never know, but thanks to GWF experts we know so much more about this young man who left so few marks on the world.

20200307110946.pdf

• 2 months later...

I've been on this forum for 12 years and only very recently casually threw in a query here about a Dublin Fusilier grand uncle of mine about whom I thought there was nothing more to find. 

The info my fellow forumites found about him was incredible and freely given.

They're a good bunch here and it's nice to get an acknowledgement like yours. Delighted you were able to fill in some of your family jigsaw.

Dave

Edited by depaor01