Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nivelle Offensive

ejwalshe

All photos by the German Official War Photographers

The Nivelle Offensive involved a million French soldiers along a front between Royle and Reims. During the 2nd Battle of the Aisne, the French Army suffered 40,000 casualties on the first day. The British Army launched the Battle of Arras in parallel (for Canadians the Battle of Vimy Ridge). Attacks on the German front-line continued throughout April and May. Allied casualties of over 350,000 soldiers brought the French Army came close to mutiny. Robert Nivelle (a national hero for having recaptured Fort Douaumont) was sacked in favour of Henri-Philippe Petain as Commander-in-Chief in May 1917.

I'm really enjoying your videos. I checked out your YouTube channel and realized that I have a lot of content to watch! 

Good grief ! Just seven seconds in and there is an error...………..

The Mk1 Male Tank shown is C14 (Lt Arnold)  No 509 that has slid into a crater near Beef trench. The site is to the west of Bouleaux Wood. Photograph taken by the Germans from the wood on 15 Sept 1916. I found a large piece of this tank earlier this century, it is now in The Tank Museum.

Apart from that, as ever an interesting compilation.

Edited by stripeyman
Further info

3 hours ago, stripeyman said:

The site is to the west of Bouleaux Wood. Photograph taken by the Germans from the wood.

As an ex-squaddie myself, I wonder what the WW1 'tommies' called this wood ?

1 hour ago, tom bowler said:

As an ex-squaddie myself, I wonder what the WW1 'tommies' called this wood ?

I really don't think you need to wonder...….

DoughboyOTT,

I couldn’t find ejwalshe on YouTube, could you share that information?

Gene

Gene,

image.png.19c3ab72c5067c6f5717034b35414479.png

Go to youtube and find Edward Walshe or follow this link.  He has done an excellent job and the music is very thoughtful.

Thanks for the support!  I do not know the gentleman, but I use music from Lucas King most of the time.

Lucas King has been gracious enough to make his music online copyright free - thank you Lucas!