Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tommy Coleman - Royal Scots

D. C. Viola

Wanted to know if anyone can find info for Thomas Coleman in the Royal Scots? His year of  birth was 1898 - he was from Barrhead a town in East Renfrewshire,and moved to Philadelphia when he was 19 years old.  I am his granddaughter. I was only three years old when he died. 

Edited by D. C. Viola
Corrections

Hi Viola,

Do you have any more details for us to go on? There aren't many Thomas Colemans in the Royal Scots in WW1 but there are still a handful so anything you could tell us (a middle name, his battalion, a service number, etc.) would be really helpful in working out which one is him.

Kind Regards,

James

Not seeing  medal card for Thomas Coleman or T Coleman in Royal Scots in WW1  There is one from Barrhead in 1911 Census aged 13  - so born 1898 and fighting age in WW1. There was only one Thomas Coleman born in Scotland in 1901 and he was born in Midlothian. One Thomas McIroy Coleman born Barrhead in 1902

Looking in records the one born 1998 enlisted in the Royal Scots as 38484 in December 1915 giving age as 18. Father's name Anthony and address 2 Walton St Barrhead. Served with 16th for a couple of weeks then 12th RS. Is he the one who married in Pennsylvania in 1924?

Edited by david murdoch

Hi David,

There are a few actually but apart from one they're all men who served with more than one regiment so maybe they're not showing up under Royal Scots in all search facilities:

Thomas Coleman - Royal Scots 38484 and Labour Corps 382063

Thomas E Coleman - Durham Light Infantry 27183 and Royal Scots 302757

Thomas J Coleman - Royal Scots 1861 and Royal Engineers 79723

Thomas Coleman - 1st Garrison Royal Scots 18046

There are also service records for a Thomas Coleman, 17th Bn. Royal Scots, 22057, but he probably isn't our man.

Let's see if Viola is able to provide us with some more information and we can do some more digging then.

James

James.

I'm seeing service record for this one Thomas Coleman - Royal Scots 38484 and Labour Corps 382063 - seems to match lad from Barrhead in 1911 Census but he was born earlier than 1901. He's on an Ancestry tree and by a passenger list  seen arriving in USA July 1920 with his younger brother James  - UK address matching father's address on service record. His service record is already attached to that family tree.

. Yes ! I obviously had the incorrect date of birth he did have a brother James and his two sisters, Mary and Honour were already in the states by then -this is very exciting!!  So Thomas‘s oldest son (he had 10 children!) is my father, his name is Anthony, which is my great grandfathers name. 

“Thomas Coleman - Royal Scots 38484 and Labour Corps 382063“

“Looking in records the one born 1998 enlisted in the Royal Scots as 38484 in December 1915 giving age as 18. Father'sname Anthony and address 2 Walton St Barrhead. Served with 16th for a couple of weeks then 12th RS. Is he the one whomarried in Pennsylvania in 1924?”

Denise Coleman Viola (Tommy’s granddaughter)

Edited by D. C. Viola

This is from the 1924 marriage of Thomas Coleman.  https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Fpal%3A%2FMM9.3.1%2FTH-266-11031-198390-22&parentid=US%2FFS%2FM%2F043413623%2F1   His father was Anthony and his mother's maiden name was McHugh. Anthony Coleman married Rose Ann McHugh in Barrhead in 1889.

Regards,

Alf McM

58 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

I'm seeing service record for this one Thomas Coleman - Royal Scots 38484 and Labour Corps 382063 

findmypast have transcribed that one as being Royal Field Artillery for some reason. I'll submit a correction.

Denise,

Do you have a subscription to findmypast or Ancestry? They both have his service records. If not, then we can summarise. Was there something in particular you were looking to find out?

James

2 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Not seeing  medal card for Thomas Coleman or T Coleman in Royal Scots in WW1  There is one from Barrhead in 1911 Census aged 13  - so born 1898 and fighting age in WW1. There was only one Thomas Coleman born in Scotland in 1901 and he was born in Midlothian. One Thomas McIroy Coleman born Barrhead in 1902

Looking in records the one born 1998 enlisted in the Royal Scots as 38484 in December 1915 giving age as 18. Father's name Anthony and address 2 Walton St Barrhead. Served with 16th for a couple of weeks then 12th RS. Is he the one who married in Pennsylvania in 1924?

There is a service record with his attestation and also a discharge record from Labour Corps he enlisted 8th December 1915 aged 18 and 4 months, his actual date of birth is 10th August 1897 (from his birth certificate) He only mobilised November 1916 (when he was 19 ) then went to France 24th January 1917 being intended for 16th Royal Scots, but  then 11th February posted to 12th Royal Scots (most likely as a casualty replacement) and sent to his unit in the field. May 1917 promoted Lance Corporal and then  Corporal in August 1917 then transferred to Labour Corps September 1917. Possibly due to him having suffered from bronchitis and no longer fully fit. He re numbered 382063 and served with 32nd Labour Company, returning to UK in February 1919 for demobilisation.

I do not have a subscription to either.  I come to this very new. Happen to be watching a show on Netflix called the English Game and remembered my grandfather played football or soccer back then, and  continued to play when he was in Philadelphia. 
So far, even though I remember some of this information, I find it fascinating to look into my family history back in Scotland- lots of time on my hand with the pandemic issue!

Denise

16 minutes ago, D. C. Viola said:

I do not have a subscription to either.

You could also try out the familysearch site doesn't require subscription. It has documents relating to the arrival of Thomas & James at Ellis Island such as this one https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J663-KTG

and also the 1930 & 1940 US Censuses showing hin in Pennsylvania.

I notes that as he got older the age given got relatively younger - so on the arrival in the US his estimated birth year works back to 1897, by the 1940 Census its circa 1900, which may possibly explain the confusion.

Hope that helps,

Peter

3 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Yes that is him! Most helpful. Thank you. 
Denise

Edited by D. C. Viola
Correction

51 minutes ago, D. C. Viola said:

I do not have a subscription to either.  I come to this very new. Happen to be watching a show on Netflix called the English Game and remembered my grandfather played football or soccer back then, and  continued to play when he was in Philadelphia. 
So far, even though I remember some of this information, I find it fascinating to look into my family history back in Scotland- lots of time on my hand with the pandemic issue!

Denise

The family history records prior to them going to USA are on Scotlands People. I see his birth certificate and 1911 Census return which shows the family lived at 2 Walton St for a number of years. With a few names and dates to go on can track back and get his parents marriage certificate ect. https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ There is quite an extensive family tree on Ancestry for the family - looks like all of them emigrated to USA but not together. This notes his father was originally from Ireland. His wife was from Glasgow (area) of Irish parents and from Scotlands People they married in Barrhead in 1889. There is a good photo of his parents on this tree  Looks also they had two sons both called Anthony who died  - one aged two and another aged five.

Do you have any photos or medals that led you to know Thomas was with Royal Scots?

Edited by david murdoch