Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

rolt968

Stuck without access to the war diaries for the foreseeable future, I'm a bit stuck.

Can anyone tell me about the Third Battle of Doiran or point me in the direction of a good online source.

There seems to be much less about the third battle than the first or second. I have seen one source which suggest that the third battle was a success, but everything I have read suggests that it wasn't and that the Bulgarian retreat was caused by the risk of their being cut off by a Serb and British advance.

Also can anyone tell me where I will find a map with the Pip Hills and Sugar Loaf Hills marked. I can find lots with the local names.

Many thanks,

RM

There isn't a 3rd battle of Doiran. At the end of the 2nd the Bulgarians retreated as you say to avoid being cut off when the Serbs and French broke through to the west of the Vardar.

44 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

There isn't a 3rd battle of Doiran. At the end of the 2nd the Bulgarians retreated as you say to avoid being cut off when the Serbs and French broke through to the west of the Vardar.

I think this may explain my difficulties.

I'm interested in the allied offensive on 18 and 19 September 1918. I gather that in itself it achieved little or nothing but there were heavy casualties particularly in 77 Brigade on 19 September.

I found this. Do you have Ancestry?

Acknown 

Edited by Acknown

Just now, rolt968 said:

I'm interested in the allied offensive on 18 and 19 September 1918. I gather that in itself it achieved little or nothing but there were heavy casualties particularly in 77 Brigade on 19 September.

I can't add anything in terms of knowledge, other than to say that my first cousin twice removed (ie. my grandmother's first cousin) was killed at Doiran on September 18th 1918.

11 days before the armistice with Bulgaria.

He is buried at Doiran

Private WYNNE, W J

Service Number 36612

Died 18/09/1918

Aged 21

11th Bn.
Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Son of Hugh P. and A. Wynne, of Meifod Uchaf, Dyffryn, Merioneth.

The SCS (Salonika Campaign Society) have produced a DVD with a considerable selection of maps, some owned by or donated to the society, others included under licence from the National Archives. I recently arranged to scan all the Official History maps that are published with the two volumes of the OH and they will be added to the DVD for future purchases.  I will try to find you one from the selection that I can share, but I am about to start cooking duty.

My approach to cooking  does have some resemblance to that of the late Keith Floyd, so it may well be tomorrow before I can look out a suitable map. The OH maps are out of copyright, so sharing is entirely legal and the scanning was done without any legal restrictions.

Keith

There is another forum topic on 11/RWF and Dorian. Just search 11 Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Sorry, not up to linking to it via phone as yet.

Post #3 has a link to a regimental resource. Post #5 is an extract from the resource.

TEW

OK, the wine is breathing. PM me an email address and I will send you a copy of map 5 from the OH volume 2 which should meet your needs. If travel becomes possible again by September we will be walking some of the area. Alan Wakefield leads the visits, and I can only say that we always have some new ground to cover.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts

Many thanks to everyone.

I will work through all of those resources.

RM