Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Henry Francis.

Michael Peck

Hi List,

Help required, please, to identify a man on the Brightlingsea (All Saints) War Memorial.

Walter Henry Francis was born 1872 Brightlingsea, Essex the son of Joseph and Esther Ann Francis (nee Drake) and he is present 1881/1891, not traced thereafter. He appears to have been buried Brightlngsea 1916 (there is one private report which states died February 1916, and enlisted in unidentified regiment 1894).

I can find no trace CWGC, or Soldiers DGW (or Sailors DGW or Airmen DGW - just in case he was discharged and enlists in another branch of service). Ancestry has nothing on its military side and there doesn't appear to be a civil death report. I'm at a bit of a loss both to positively identify the man, and explain his name on the memorial, so any help gratefully received.

Thanks for any help,

Mike.

The rest of the family are still in Brightlingsea in 1901 and three brothers are 'mariners' but obviously at home still

Name: Joseph France
[Joseph Francis] 
Estimated birth year: abt 1847
Relation to Head: Head
Spouse: Esther A France
Birth Place: Brightlingsea, Essex, England
Civil Parish: Brightlingsea

George

Hi Mike,

You may have this...

Walter Henry Francis married Laura Maggie Smith in 1902 (as in  post by "sadbrewer"), 3rd qtr, Tendring, Essex, 4a, 1222.  1911 census she is living at 18 Kings Hd? St, Harwich. with her 3 children. Shows she has been married 8 yrs, two of the children surname Smith 12 and 10 yrs and the third is 4 months old Ann Jessie H Francis.. Remark "Husband at Sea"...looking....her maiden name may have been Hesketh and probably married to ? Smith...looking

The three brothers (Francis), mariners, are shown on the 1911 census at home at 50 Upper Park Rd., Brightlingsea, with their parents, same as 1901 address.

I think the links posted by "sadbrewer" explain everything.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Well, that would appear to be him firmly pinned to the ground.

My thanks to Inspector, George Rayner, sadbrewer and alfmcm - you have done me proud.

This forum never ceases to amaze me!

Once again, my thanks.

Mike.