Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brentford London newspapers casualties etc

wulsten

Do any forum members have knowledge of newspapers from great war in the Brentford London area, in images etc

Looking for a John Albert Jones sadly killed 31st August 1918, near Bullecourt any info advice appreciated

His pension record is on fold 3....sadly I do not have a subscription 

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=61588&h=21648122&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=8912

His service record is also available, he was an electricians mate, resident at 26 Mafeking Rd, Brentford when he attested.

Edited by sadbrewer

Local newspapers are The Hanwell Gazette and Brentford Advertiser, Chiswick Times and County of Middlesex Independent. None are available online though. Local archives may be able to help.

1 hour ago, sadbrewer said:

His pension record is on fold 3....sadly I do not have a subscription 

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=61588&h=21648122&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=8912

His service record is also available, he was an electricians mate, resident at 26 Mafeking Rd, Brentford when he attested.

I have his pension record however had no idea his papers survived, again many thanks will have to check out at the library, very much appreciated 

Geoff

9 minutes ago, jacks said:

Local newspapers are The Hanwell Gazette and Brentford Advertiser, Chiswick Times and County of Middlesex Independent. None are available online though. Local archives may be able to help.

Jacks, much appreciated info on newspapers and particularly the online status, probably have to wait etc, had various experience with libraries, will have a go

If any newspapers for the period are available you might find them at Chiswick Library. The lady who set up Brentford High Street Project is very helpful and will help if she can. However I don't remember a family called Jones from Walnut Tree Road. John 

The local papers online for 1910 to 1919 are;

By Newspaper

Acton Gazette (58,869)

Ealing Gazette and West Middlesex Observer(89,940)

Middlesex Chronicle (53,806)

Middlesex County Times (120,183)

Middlesex Gazette (20,868)

Uxbridge & W. Drayton Gazette (83,637)

West London Observer (79,160)

West Middlesex Gazette (61,961)

The micro fiche of the others are in either Chiswick or Feltham libraries now.