Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reninghelst Church

ejwalshe

"A few weeks ago I was down by Reninghelst church when I saw a rural Belgian funeral. Apparently it was the funeral of an elderly man, and his widow and grown-up children were the mourners. The hearse was a farm wagon (not much like a modern English one, more like those in Constable's pictures) drawn by two heavy draught horses, well-groomed and fitted with well-polished harness. This feature was noteworthy because ordinarily the Belgians don't give much attention to 'poshin up' their horses and harness. Over the wagon was the coffin together with two or three chairs occupied by the bereaved daughters. But the widow had the seat of honour in front of the wagon low down, almost on the shafts and just behind the horses' tails. From this position she directed all the operations with just that amount of regal dignity which was appropriate to the occasion. The Belgians spitting here and there and everywhere is not very pleasant especially when you see the women spitting on the floor and rubbing it out with their boots or wooden clogs, or the men doing it and the women running round mopping up after them. I have an idea that social position goes by the number of time a man can spit in the same place. If he can make a cross without once misfiring he becomes a councillor and the man who can weave the most intricate pattern is made a burgomaster ". - Sapper Albert John (Jack ) Martin. Diaries copyright © Laurence Martin, Anna Morrison, Mary Wren, Shelagh Martin 2009.

Diary entry of Capitaine Georges Vanier, Easter Sunday, 12 April 1916: "My will. I believe in God and in the holy Catholic Church. I believe in eternal rest and in the divine mercy. Without fear I entrust my soul to our Lord Jesus Christ. I renew all the promises and vows made at my baptism and at my confirmation. I believe in the sanctity of our cause and in the triumph of justice. I believe in the future of French Canada. All my possessions at the time of my death I leave to those who I love the most: Maman, Papa, Marie Eva, John, Antony and Frances to be divided equally among them. I name my father my executor with full powers and no obligations to report. I entrust my father to act at the time he alone considers opportune. Pray for me. Georges-Philéas Vanier - Capitaine au 22e bataillon Canadien français. "

Diary entry of Capitaine Georges-Philéas Vanier, Easter Sunday, 23 April 1916: "Twenty-eight years old today! Beautiful weather, hot sun. At 9 a.m., Mass at Reninghelst in an old parish church that dates from the 17th century. Took Holy Communion with many of my men...

Vanier took on a prominent role in recruiting others, eventually helping to organise in 1915 the French Canadian 22nd Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, of which he was commissioned as an officer, and which later, in 1920, became the Royal 22e Régiment. Vanier received the Military Cross (MC) on 3 June 1916, he continued fighting in the trenches. In July 1917, he was appointed a knight (chevalier) of the French Legion of Honour. In late 1918, he led an attack at Chérisy and was shot in the chest and both legs, resulting in the loss of his right leg due to a shell blast. His recovery was lengthy, though he spent it in France, refusing to be evacuated while his fellow soldiers remained fighting. With the cessations of hostilities, Vanier was mentioned in despatches and was awarded a Bar to his Military Cross for his bravery during this action:

"Captain (Acting Major) George Phileas Vanier, D.S.O., M.C., 22nd Battalion, Quebec Regiment, Canadian Infantry For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. The battalion commander having become a casualty, this officer organised the remnants of the battalion which had suffered heavily the previous day, and led the men in the second attack with great dash. He was first seriously wounded in the side, but carried on until severely wounded in both legs."

Later, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order:

"Captain (Acting Major) George-Phileas Vanier, M.C., 22nd Battalion, Canadian Infantry, Quebec Regiment For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. As second in command he led a portion of the battalion to the attack and capture of a village. The O.C. [Officer Commanding] the battalion being then called to the command of [a] brigade, this officer took charge of the battalion and led it with great skill to the attack and capture of a large village. His courage, example and will to conquer imbued all under him with the finest fighting spirit."