Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr 29845 Walter Edwin Isger RGA

MrG

I think the man in the attached photo is my cousin's maternal grandfather, Walter Edwin Isger, who fought as a Gunner with 114 Heavy Battery RGA from 1914 but other than his medal card and a few bits on Ancestry I cannot find much info. Could someone perhaps let me know if the uniform worn by the chap in the photo (found in my aunt's effects) fits with this date/regiment

Many Thanks

Walter Isger possibly.jpg

The answer is yes.  The "bombs" (grenades) collar badges, wide (likely to be red) trouser stripe,  and just the very suggestion of the right end (as we look at it) of the Gunner cap badge all point to a Royal Artilleryman.  He has one good conduct badge (the inverted chevron) indicating over two but under 5 years of service., you will have seen from the other thread that he served from 1908 so this would likely be pre-war.  The badge above the chevron is one which has often generated more heat than light.  The crossed elements are [artillery] gun barrels (ie not rifles or machine guns) which are still seen today in an instructor context but which at that time, with the crown, were the 1st Class battery gunnery prize badge.    He is here a Gunner - no rank badges.

Max

The date he went to France (from his medal card) was 3 Oct 1914 which was indeed the date when 114 Hy Bty went, the 1914 Star roll confirms the battery.  They were equipped with 60 pounder guns https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BL_60-pounder_gun.  There is a war diary covering up to Dec 1915:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/69782800eff749a6a328d4d51b3fa47c 

As with other heavy and siege batteries, 114 Hy came under command of a multitude of different Heavy Artillery Groups (also known as Brigades RGA) most of which had war diaries in which 114 Hy would be one of a number so detail would be scarce.  Although the British War and Victory medal rolls also list him as 114 Hy  I am unsure whether we can assume he remained with 114 Hy throughout.

MaxD

He’s wearing the late 1890s pattern of RA Blue Serge Frock.

BDDC5575-64C4-4AC9-A842-E0EFB326F73F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

This is great stuff.

Many Thanks

Merve