Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown soldier

Allan1892

I am assisting a friend in researching her grand fathers and great uncles during WW1. She has emailed me a group of men at a wedding in late spring 1918 and I am struggling to identify the cap badges for the two men in uniform.

The first image (I am told) is that of her great uncle Alfred Burridge who (from my research) attested on the 29/01/1916 and was placed into the 4th Battalion, West Yorkshires. I know that this was a reserve Battalion and he returned to his employment as a coal miner. He was mobilised on 1/5/1918 and joined the Battalion for training. He arrived in France on 2/9/1918 and placed into the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshires and the next day he was transferred into the 9th Battalion West Yorkshires and given a new number. My problem is that the cap badge in the  image that is said to be Alfred Burridge does not match up to the West Yorkshires, looks more like a fusiliers.[the white mark above the cap badge is just that, a white mark]. Can anyone assist? 

The second image is of an unknown man, can anyone tell me what regiment is insignia represents?

Alfred Burridge.jpg

Unknown soldier.jpg

Edited by Allan1892

The three possibilities for the first photo are the Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the Royal Munster Fusiliers. The second photo looks to be either the East Yorkshire Regiment or the Cheshire Regiment.   Pete.

I would say. Northumberland Fusiliers and East Yorkshire Regiments 

The second chap, is that a lion arm badge on his sleeve, or a tare or mark on the photo that happens to look like a lion?

Chris 

Edited by Dragoon

2 hours ago, Dragoon said:

The second chap, is that a lion arm badge on his sleeve, or a tare or mark on the photo that happens to look like a lion?

Chris 

I think it’s a bandsman’s Lyre badge, Chris.  Typically you can see it’s worn on both his arms.

E1D8D532-FBE5-4E8E-B4DD-09F6FF89D891.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, mark holden said:

I would say. Northumberland Fusiliers and East Yorkshire Regiments 

Intuitively Northern regiments would seem the most likely, I agree, although the RMF should not be ruled out, as almost all the Irish regiments’ Service Battalions were receiving drafts of English men who had been nominally allocated to their local regiments, but then diverted to make up the numbers of units that were struggling to maintain reinforcements from their traditional areas of recruiting.