Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain William Jackson Perkins - 28th Div Signals Company

Treaders

Hi, 

I’ve been researching a great grandfather of mine, William Jackson Perkins (jnr), who was in the 28th Div Signals Company during the war and fought in France and Salonika. He was awarded a Military Cross and I’m trying to find out what for but with no luck so far. I can’t find any citations and there is no reference to it in the relevant war diary. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

All the best,

Jamie

A check of the Medal Index Card shows he was originally in the 5th Battalion Queens Regiment before transferring to the Royal Engineers. 5th Battalion, Queens were a Territorial Force unit.

Although the clerk has added O.B.E and M.C in the name section, there is no corresponding London Gazette reference and no separate card that I could track down for his Military Cross. There is however a reference to the issue of an Emblem which I believe means he received a Mention in Despatches.

I used Google to search the London Gazette, (the website search engine is diabolical) and found a number of references to William Jackson Perkins – possibly some are the father. But none of the post-war military related matches include reference to him having a Military Cross.

I then tried a search for a Military Cross card for an W.J. Perkins of the Royal Engineers. Instead what I found was a medal card for the Mention in Despatches of a Lieutenant W.J. Perkins, (temporary Captain), Royal West Surrey Regiment (Territorial Force). London Gazette reference 1st January 1916, Page 32,

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29422/supplement/1

This was in connection with Sir John Frenchs’ Despatch of the 15th October 1915, according to the front page of the Supplement.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29422/supplement/1

So do you have another source for him having received the Military Cross?

Or is it possible an error by the clerk who prepared the MiC?

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for your reply. I have the London Gazette reference and the index card for his MC, and it is well known in the family that he received one. As with a lot of soldiers however, he never spoke about what he got it for! Very frustrating! I've checked the war diary and asked relatives but no luck so far... 

IMG_0906.PNG

So does that mean there was no specific reason/incident for the award, or if there was, it's unlikely I'll be able to find any more info? 

Correct. Awards in New Year’s Honours may be seen as for distinguished service rather than for a specific incident. 

Edited by Mark1959