Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Blacow

Chris_Baker

I am currently researching a chap by the name of Ernest Maudsley Blacow, one of the first to enlist in the 2nd Manchester City Battalion (which was eventually the 17th (Service) Battalion).

He survived the attack at Montauban on 1 July 1916, and was promoted to Corporal soon afterwards. He did not enjoy his new authority too long, as he sustained a wound in or near Trones Wood in very late July, sufficiently severe to end the war for him.

If anyone has any reference or other information about him, particularly in the early days of the Battalion - I would be most interested.

Chris,

You will find a picture of L/Cpl 8441 E. M. Blacow along with "C" Company XI Platoon of the 17th (Service) Battalion, Manchester Regt. on pages 78 /79 of the 'Manchester City Battalions - Book of Honour'.

You may also find his name listed amongst the Rolls of Honour of the Firms and Institutions located at the back of this book. Unfortunately there is no name index in the book for these rolls so it's a matter of trawling through the 400 odd pages

The first part of this book is as you may already know available as a CD-ROM, available from the Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society. This does come along with a name index for the first part of the book, which is a 'God-send'. The second part of the book, Rolls of Honour, Firms and Institution is in the process of being put onto CD-ROM hopefully with a name index.

Alan Seymour

Thanks Alan. I was not aware of the CDROM. Great stuff.

Assuming you have the book to hand, could I ask you to look at the listing (if any) for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Bank? Ernest was a clerk there in 1914, and rejoined in 1917.

Chris

He's listed on page 558 and shown as working at the Bank's head office.

No mention of him in any of my notes about the 17th (or in the war diary).

I'll be doing some more research at the regimental archive in a few weeks and I'll keep my eye open for any reference (but don't hold your breath - they don't have all that much by way of personal documents).

Is there anything specific you are looking for about him?

John

How much does the CD-ROM cost? I have a number of 'Pals' on our Roll of Honour, including the Howarth brothers, Herbert (17th batt.) and Ernest (18th) who died a month apart in the Battle of The Somme. They lived in Walmersley Rd, Bury, a few hundred yards from my house.

Mark (and other potential customers)

CD is £9.95 and available for purchase on-line at

www.mlfhs.demon.co.uk

Much cheaper but not as much fun as the "real thing" (copy being sold by Croonaert in the "Sales" section of the Forum)

This Part 1 CD includes platoon photos and list of platoon members, but doesnt identify individual soldiers on the photos.

Part 2 which are the employers' "adverts" listing employees who served (not just with the Mancs) will definately have a searchable list and will be available "later in the year" according to MLFHS. MLFHS says that there are around 50000 names included in these lists so it will be an excellent resource tool. Some of the entries are quite detailed but others are just a list of F Bloggs, J Smith, T Atkins which won't be much help unless you are researching someone with an unusual name

(Mark - Ernest Howarth is listed as being a member of 12th platoon, "C" Coy

Herbert 16th platoon, "D" Coy. My article on Hellfire Corner about my grandfather's service with the 17th should give you a good account of the Battalion's attack on Montauban.)

John

B)

Much cheaper but not as much fun as the "real thing"  (copy being sold by Croonaert in the "Sales" section of the Forum)

Thanks for yet another "plug", John! (I'll have to send you some more photos now!!!! :P ) By the way. It is the "real thing" that I'm selling, not a copy of it!.

Dave. :D

Is there anything specific you are looking for about him?

Not really, John, but any mentions of him anywhere that you spot would be great. I have his service papers (which actually don't give too much detail except that he joined, got promoted to Corporal eventually, got a Blighty and was discharged in May 1917).

The CD sounds great. Another one to keep quiet from the wife. :lol:

Chris - I'd appreciate details (particularly of his date of joining, etc. Any idea which area of Greater Manchester he came from? The original 17th were often not actual Manchester residents) - everything I come across about the 17th goes "in the file" on a "you never know if you'll need it" basis .

Dave - sorry, mate. wasn't trying to imply you were selling a "copy" only that you had a "copy of the original" to sell. if you know what I mean......

John