Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History Hunters - Freeview 19

Alan24

Watched two episodes so far of a new series on Yesterday Channel 19 called History Hunters.

Follows Father & Son  militaria dealers, the things they buy and stories behind them.

Some great stories including an RFC pilot last night.

My son and I have really enjoyed watching these.

Broadcast on Tuesdays 20.30.

Alan.

Thanks for the reminder , i had seen the trailers but had forgotten to watch . Just viewed the first two episodes on catch up and thoroughly enjoyed them .

• 2 weeks later...

I watched an episode for the first time last night (pre-recorded) and throughly enjoyed it. Some nice items on show, and some fleeting glimpses of items in cabinets. I wished they had shown more of the items, with less filler shots of the company Land Rover etc. 

A nice belt and holster named to a RAMC CSM - later ASC WO1.

Father and son appraised a collection of 1500 medals, some duff, but two or more boxes of Great War medals.

I thought their offer a bit tight, so did the seller!

Was I the only person who found it rather strange in the latest episode that supposed experts in their field repeatedly made reference to the the WW1 "Medal Issue Certificates" (or "Medal Index Cards" as they are correctly known)? :huh:

It's a great programme. I've learnt a lot.

But what's great is that it's devoid of 'TV Jeopardy' which you often get in these types of programmes and not over hyped.

However in the last episode I think the female narrator was getting confused between a shell case and cartridge case.

There was also one other error. At the market stall/boot fair the renamed medal was at least twice maybe 3 times referred to as India General Service Medal (implied dates 1854-1895) but was in fact I believe an India Medal (1895-1902). For 11 Hussars the two clasps would have had presumably Relief of Chitral 1855 & Punjab Frontier 1897-1898.

Regards

Alan

Edited by Alan24

17 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Was I the only person who found it rather strange in the latest episode that supposed experts in their field repeatedly made reference to the the WW1 "Medal Issue Certificates" (or "Medal Index Cards" as they are correctly known)? :huh:

Yes, did notice that too. I felt they were trying not to give too much away about their research methods although everyone here will be very familiar with where the info was coming from.

Regards 

Alan 

This set of medals seems to have turned up on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401822653353

If you are British Medal Forum member, there is also an interesting thread about the programme on there.

Mandy

4 hours ago, Alan24 said:

There was also one other error. At the market stall/boot fair the renamed medal was at least twice maybe 3 times referred to as India General Service Medal (implied dates 1854-1895) but was in fact I believe an India Medal (1895-1902). For 11 Hussars the two clasps would have had presumably Relief of Chitral 1855 & Punjab Frontier 1897-1898.

Regards

Alan

I'm enjoying the programme warts and all

1 hour ago, mandy hall said:

This set of medals seems to have turned up on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401822653353

If you are British Medal Forum member, there is also an interesting thread about the programme on there.

Mandy

That's the ones!

They were only £500 on the programme.

Regards

Alan.

The power of TV advertising :lol:

1 hour ago, Coldstreamer said:

I'm enjoying the programme warts and all

I’m also enjoying it, as it”s unusual to see medals on the tv apart from antiques roadshow.

Mandy

Exactly, and lots of them 

1 hour ago, Alan24 said:

That's the ones!

They were only £500 on the programme.

Regards

Alan.

They were on offer at a fair, to a dealer. The shop featured has a website, they're out of the range of my pocket money!

Edited by GWF1967

Yesterday's Telegraph (10th April) has  a short piece, 'Victoria Cross Army medic's scrapbook unearthed', # about the Chavasse twin's scrapbook that featured in one of the programmes; The programme itself wasn't mentioned, but the fact the scrapbook - together with their nephew's WWII group - were being sold for £7K was. Looking at War & Son's website they've since been sold.

No guarantees this link will work - the article might be behind a paywall.

NigelS

Fyi it needs payment to view.

11 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

, they're out of the range of my pocket money!

They also have on the website a collection of Dambusters material from "O for Orange" at a steal for £175,000! Start saving now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2020 at 10:34, Black Maria said:

The Chavasse scrapbook story also appeared in the Mail on line a couple of days ago https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8203999/Poignant-childhood-scrapbook-discovered-119-years.html

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18389007.school-buys-lost-scrapbook-first-world-war-hero-capt-noel-chavasse/

The scrapbook has been purchased by the school the brothers attended.  A nice ending to the story.

Mandy

3 hours ago, mandy hall said:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18389007.school-buys-lost-scrapbook-first-world-war-hero-capt-noel-chavasse/

The scrapbook has been purchased by the school the brothers attended.  A nice ending to the story.

Mandy

Yes , that is good news .