Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Allan Warner-Clarkson

Arthur Ridley Biggs - Wiltshire Regiment

Recommended Posts

Allan Warner-Clarkson

I am researching the Biggs family and am trying to find out more about Arthur Ridley Biggs.

I know he was a Second Lieutenant in the Wiltshire Regiment and have rough details about when and where he died.

I also have his medal card.

 

What I am looking for now are things like his Service Number, date of enlistment etc.  Is this information available on line anywhere?

Many thanks

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
5 minutes ago, Allan Warner-Clarkson said:

I am researching the Biggs family and am trying to find out more about Arthur Ridley Biggs.

I know he was a Second Lieutenant in the Wiltshire Regiment and have rough details about when and where he died.

I also have his medal card.

 

What I am looking for now are things like his Service Number, date of enlistment etc.  Is this information available on line anywhere?

Many thanks

Allan

 

A Lt wouldn't have a service number unless he'd started in the ranks.

 

I assume you are aware of this - https://www.flickr.com/photos/reading_connections/9261622150


Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allan Warner-Clarkson
2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

A Lt wouldn't have a service number unless he'd started in the ranks.

 

I assume you are aware of this - https://www.flickr.com/photos/reading_connections/9261622150


Craig

Yes got the picture, thanks.  Re the number, never realised that.  So if he had come from the ranks, he would retain his old number?

Also where would I find his enlistment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
1 minute ago, Allan Warner-Clarkson said:

Yes got the picture, thanks.  Re the number, never realised that.  So if he had come from the ranks, he would retain his old number?

Also where would I find his enlistment?

No, the number would only apply for his service in the ranks (and would be dropped when commissioned, although records may well still note the number).
 

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29031/supplement/250/data.pdf

image.png

 

You may need to obtain his officers records from the National Archives for a fuller picture - that's not going to be possible any time soon.


Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allan Warner-Clarkson
4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

No, the number would only apply for his service in the ranks (and would be dropped when commissioned, although records may well still note the number).
 

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29031/supplement/250/data.pdf

image.png

 

You may need to obtain his officers records from the National Archives for a fuller picture - that's not going to be possible any time soon.


Craig

Thanks Craig, very helpful.

One last thing, would you agree I can eliminate Arthur R Biggs Royal Engineers no 19238 as being the same man?  The Gazette says 'mine' came from OTC not the ranks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252

As a bit of lateral thinking (for once !)

 

His soldiers effects record should show any war gratuity he was entitled to an ex-ranker - there's no war gratuity showing so it looks like he had never served in the ranks before he undertook his officer training.


Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
3 minutes ago, Allan Warner-Clarkson said:

Thanks Craig, very helpful.

One last thing, would you agree I can eliminate Arthur R Biggs Royal Engineers no 19238 as being the same man?  The Gazette says 'mine' came from OTC not the ranks.

 

Also nothing on the Medal Index Card for #19238 to suggest he died or was commissioned.


Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HERITAGE PLUS

Allan

 

Have you seen this?

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reading_connections/9261622150

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allan Warner-Clarkson
14 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Also nothing on the Medal Index Card for #19238 to suggest he died or was commissioned.


Craig

Many thanks for your help.

Just now, HERITAGE PLUS said:

Allan

 

Have you seen this?

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reading_connections/9261622150

 

Dave

Hi Dave, yes I have but thanks for replying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...