Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieutenant Frederick W Sword

wpf1958

2nd Lieutenant Frederick W Sword was commissioned in the first quarter of 1915 and joined the 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade on the Ypres Salient on 24th September 1915. He was sent for Court Martial on 18th November and the decision to be dismissed from the Army was given on 27th November.

Does anyone have any information relating to the reasons for the Court Martial or any other information?

Wilhelm

Frederick W. Sword was charged with being drunk on active service. He was later killed in Action (May 1917) serving with the 14th London Scottish.

Andy

Page 37.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

His service record survives as an OR and he has papers in the Officers records. Ex Uppingham OTC  commissioned from the Inns of Court as number 2653.

Andy

CIMG9407.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

Dear Andy

Thank you so much for such perfect information. I am truly grateful to you.

Kind regards

Wilhelm

Hi Wilhelm,

Not a problem, the 8th is something of a passion of mine. He was commissioned into the 14th Rifle Brigade, one of the Reserve Battalions of the Regiment, lived in Eastbourne and lists his occupation as a farmer.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Hi Andy

It is also a great interest to me as well. Sadly it is impossible for me to get to the archives to go through such things, particularly at the moment. They are closed and I am stuck in Germany in any event.

One wonders what excuses he gave when returning to the UK, must have been damn difficult for everyone. Some I know volunteered and enlisted under a a false name.

Kind regards

Wilhelm

Wilhelm,

His papers for The London Scottish are quite open about his previous commission although they state commission cancelled. Farmer in Argentina before the war and although his address is in Eastbourne he was born in Scotland. Obviously keen to serve again as March 1916 enlistment only a couple of months after his dismissal.

Andy

31238_200990-00597.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853

Hi Andy

How interesting, I wonder how detailed he gave an explanation for the cancellation! Thanks for the update.

Wilhelm

A few acknowledgements in the Eastbourne Chronicle for Pte F.W.Sword

Dave

EastbourneChr_1917Jul7.png.49f4425e77280afcf098f98096d6bb8a.png

EastbourneChr_1917Jul28.png.3574ddbf50997427e8b042a5a6dfe84a.png

There is a James Hubert Sword of Eastbourne.

SWORD

James Hubert

Lieutenant, 4th Queens Own Hussars. 2nd Cavalry Division. Killed in action on the Aisne 10 September 1914. Aged 22. Son of Frederick Steuart & Catherine Brash Sword of “Teneriffe” Carlisle Road, Meads, Eastbourne. Educated at Sandhurst. SJ & St Michael & All Angels. Buried in Gandelu Communal Cemetery

Dear Dave

It becomes a most interesting story, thanks so much for the links. It would appear that he did survive the war.

Wilhelm

29 minutes ago, wpf1958 said:

It becomes a most interesting story, thanks so much for the links. It would appear that he did survive the war.

2nd Lieutenant Frederick William Sword was dismissed from His Majesty's Services for drunkenness on active service.

He then enlisted as a Private with the London Scottish and died in France on or since 11 May 1917.

1.  CWGC

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1671786/sword,-frederick-william/

2.  National Probate Calendar 1918 (from ancestry):

Sword.jpg.1b0aa06f6be19de79a74d1fa2a2416db.jpg

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Thanks for that confirmation, don't know how I managed to miss that one. Need new glasses.

Wilhelm