Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brass WW1 Shell identification

Fenris

Hi there new to the forum, I recently picked up a ww1 shell and need help identifying it  Head stamp as follows  clockwise  :

F.P.S co on the top 

there is a large 11 right near the F.P.S Co  on the right  

1-3-16  there is a small number 53 above that date on the right 

there is an 89 c or d at the bottom of the shell  just above a  (bipja)--- to worn to read the rest 

there is a No19 on the left 

I hope that helps  thanks 

Edited by Fenris

Hi Fenris. A photo would really help but FPS Co sound like the American firm Federal Press Steel Company. The US was manufactured ordnance for the allies on a large scale even before their official entry into the War. 

It's possible that your shell case is an 18pdr as they are one of the most common but a photo and/or dimensions would sort it out. 

All the best. 

From the second photo, it looks like a cartridge for a French Canon 75mm Model 1897, which was widely used by US Forces during WW1.
Sorry for the short reply, one of my dogs has decided to play with me whilst I try to type!

Now I could be wrong but I predict it will be slightly taller than a standard French 75mm shell case. I think it could be an American made case for the Russian 76.2mm field gun. I always thought that French cases have a smaller primer. Dimensions should help clear this one up. 

A question before the dimensions come in.

"1-3-16" date is read in England as March 1st, 1916 whereas in the US it reads as January 3rd, 1916.

Not much of a difference, but "1-12-16" would be 11 months difference.

Were US ordnance factories instructed as to dating their munitions for British/French consumption?

EDIT: Since these were not "expiry" dates, I don't suppose it matters too much.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
typo

I'd never thought about the dates to be honest. I would imagine that some sort of agreement would have been reached. 

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the wait 

height of shell is about 15 and a half inches 

with is 2 and 7/16  inches  

Hi Fenris. Thanks for the dimensions. I have just measured a standard French 75mm case (Rennes 1901) and that is approx 14 inch in height. I have two cases like yours and both conform to the dimensions you have posted. So once again I will stick with what I said before, that it is a case produced in the USA for the Russian 76.2mm M1902 gun.

I have seen these cases with US, French and British headstamps. Curiously I have not come across any that have the primers in place. The two I own have got transit plugs where the primers should be. I can only guess that these never got much further than their countries of manufacture and clearly never made it to Russia.

Hope this is of some help.

I can't make any sense of a 75 or 76,2mm calibre case having a width of 2 and 7/16" (61,9mm appx.).