Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jerkin Tan Twill

mark holden

A Jerkin Tan Twill the more short lived version of the Jerkin Utility. This has had its leather buttons replaced with GS buttons and a Canadian button. They eyelets for the button shanks are pressed brass. Number over letter stamp on inner section of a button hole pasted in makers label dated 1917. 

Joe Sweeney provided the following information about this particular item.

Jerkins, double texture tan twill (pattern 9672/1917) was introduced on 11 September 1917. Construction details are exactly the same as that of the leather except the leather was replaced by cotton twill with the same leather covered wooden buttons being used. It’s not clear whether there was a specific issue anticipated for this jerkin or it could be issued in lieu of the leather jerkin. Its life span was short lived and was declared obsolete on 6 January 1920.

Mark

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

7 hours ago, scottmarchand said:

Did you just sell this on eBay? One finished yesterday. Cool item!

No I was the buyer!

Great pics Mark

My Grandad had his one, most of his life it bring back fond memories.

Edited by themonsstar

2 hours ago, mark holden said:

No I was the buyer!

Pretty sharp time on the delivery too, especially in the current circumstances!

Having one of these too, have to say that I was happy to see what you paid for it - although it must be said they are rare (rarer than the leather ones) and hardly ever come along.

One thing I remember Joe saying was that, in contemporary photography, they are practically indistinguishable from the leather ones and so it's hard to form a sense of how widely isued/ worn they were.

Nice thing - well done!

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks GT. A good seller who clearly anticipated the lockdown. My top bid was a bit higher but not much. I bought my leather one for under £100 so this is a bit of payback. As you say rare and I was glad to have bought it even though expensive.

regards

Mark