Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Abbreviation !

danlyon

I have an airman who was discharged as "Medically Unfit" on 1 May 1918. If I have managed to read the Form correctly, it says "Disability YDH, Documents to M of P 22 Apr 18, Pension of 27/6 for 4 weeks then 5/6 for 22 weeks." I'm guessing M of P has to be the Ministry of Pensions, but  am stumped by "YDH". Have I missed something obvious ?! Apart from mentioning that he was in "Hospital, Putney" there are no other clues about what was wrong with him : his twin brother was discharged from the Army by reason of acute arthritis, a pre-existing condition aggravated by military service, but if it was shared with his twin I can't link it to "YDH" ...

You mean VDH? Valvular Disease of the Heart.

37 minutes ago, museumtom said:

You mean VDH? Valvular Disease of the Heart.

Brilliant ! Thank you. It really does look like a capital Y, but is just as easily a capital V. Once again, thank you !

you are welcome, I come across it a lot. Soldiers who had this usually died not long after they were discharged.

20 minutes ago, museumtom said:

you are welcome, I come across it a lot. Soldiers who had this usually died not long after they were discharged.

He did indeed die earlier than he should have done, but lasted another 20 years : he emigrated to Australia and died in New south Wales on 5 Sep 1944, just short of his 47th birthday. He is an ancillary subject - I am actually researching his twin brother - so I haven't sent for his Death Certificate but I rather think we now both know what it would say !

Best wishes,

Dan