Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S12602 George Bethune 8th Seaforth Highlanders

My uncle George Gow Bethune (S12602) 8th Seaforth Highlanders was awarded MM (London Gazette 12 Dec 1917 and 25 April 1918).  I have tried in vain to get information as to why he was awarded the MM and Bar.  Can anyone help?   Hazel Lindsay

Hazel, welcome to the Forum and I suspect someone will be able to help.

You've managed to duplicate the post (I manage it frequently) so I have reported this to the Moderators to amalgamate the posts so you don't get a confusion of replies.

• ss002d6252 changed the title to George Bethune 8th Seaforth Highlanders

You may be unlucky in finding the exact citation for his gallantry as they no longer exist. However local newspapers may have something on him particularly when he was awarded the bar. 
His regimental war diary may not mention him by name but should give an idea of what he was up to around the times of the deeds. The dates of action may precede the LG publishing date by weeks or usually months.

I’m not an expert whatsoever but I wonder if his first MM could have been earned at 3rd Ypres  (Passchendaele) .

As Steven mentioned above I’m sure someone who knows what they’re talking about will contribute soon.

Simon

Hi Hazel,

I am now digging to see what I can find reference to George. He was a local man to me. I'm from Caithness. So will do my best to see what i can find.

I like researching local men who went to war.

At the moment I have searched the 8th battalions war diary for Sep and Oct 1917 and cant see anything significant at the moment. There was a trench raid in November but I think that's too late to be awarded the MM in LG in Dec.

I have asked for some help with regards to this on another forum so hoping the experts there can help.

What I do know about him - 

Born around 1897. Enlisted on 14 jan 1916.

Awarded MM LG 12 Dec 17, As a Lance Corporal

Bar to MM 25 Apr 1918, As a Sergeant

Discharged due to wounds on 18 Mar 1919, Aged 22 years 167/365 days. 

Awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Awarded the Silver War Badge with number B166741

In the mean time I have a few documents about his medals etc I have access to on Ancestry if you don't already have them?

Cheers

Lee

• spof changed the title to S12602 George Bethune 8th Seaforth Highlanders