Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

70 Squadron RFC, 28 February 1918

rolt968

Time to get back to work for a while.

Can anyone tell what 70 Squadron RFC were doing on 28 February 1918?

A man I am researching was killed in action then only about a week after he became operational.

RM

Basically, not a lot.  RFC Communiqué number 129 says ‘The weather was bad, but there were occasional bright intervals’.

The only casualty I have for No 70 Squadron on this date was 2nd-Lieut James Winter who was killed in Camel B9300 when he crashed and burst into flames on practice formation.

Graeme

10 minutes ago, topgun1918 said:

Basically, not a lot.  RFC Communiqué number 129 says ‘The weather was bad, but there were occasional bright intervals’.

The only casualty I have for No 70 Squadron on this date was 2nd-Lieut James Winter who was killed in Camel B9300 when he crashed and burst into flames on practice formation.

Graeme

Thank you Graeme.

That's my man.

I had a feeling that he was killed during practice/ training rather than by enemy action - but have no idea where I got the idea. The local paper reports online imply that he was killed in combat, but I may have something else in my notes from a local paper which is not online. He is buried in Poperinghe. Do you know where he was killed?

RM

I don't have a note of the location of his crash, but the squadron was based at Poperinghe until 27 March 1918, so I imagine it was somewhere close to the airfield.

Graeme

26 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Thank you Graeme.

That's my man.

I had a feeling that he was killed during practice/ training rather than by enemy action - but have no idea where I got the idea. The local paper reports online imply that he was killed in combat, but I may have something else in my notes from a local paper which is not online. He is buried in Poperinghe. Do you know where he was killed?

RM

Hi

TSTB II p.368 has him as crashing after take off.  The squadron was based at Poperinghe, so probably why buried there as well.

Mike

2 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

TSTB II p.368 has him as crashing after take off.  The squadron was based at Poperinghe, so probably why buried there as well.

Mike

Thanks Mike

I probably should know, but what is TSTB?

RM

7 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Thanks Mike

I probably should know, but what is TSTB?

RM

Hi

'The Sky Their Battlefield II' - 'Air Fighting and Air Casualties of the Great War; British, Commonwealth and United States Air Services 1912 to 1919.' by Trevor Henshaw.  This is an essential book on the subject.

Mike 

2 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

'The Sky Their Battlefield II' - 'Air Fighting and Air Casualties of the Great War; British, Commonwealth and United States Air Services 1912 to 1919.' by Trevor Henshaw.  This is an essential book on the subject.

Mike 

Thanks Mike

On 25/03/2020 at 07:12, MikeMeech said:

Hi

Mike 

Friends,

I have to agree with Mike entirely! Essential!

Trevor

1 hour ago, fetubi said:

Friends,

I have to agree with Mike entirely! Essential!

Trevor

Said without a hint of bias ;)

• 2 years later...

Thank you for the picture. I have been hoping to see a picture of this gravestone for many years.

I have known about the inscription for some years.

Perhaps it is even more poignant. James Winter was illegitimate. His mother never married and he was her only child.

RM

Edited by rolt968

That sounds very moving. They were Scottish? What sparked your interest? I was at Nine Elms to see the All Black captain, David Gallaher, and came across J Winters’ grave while I was there.  

On 23/10/2022 at 11:11, Richard John said:

That sounds very moving. They were Scottish? What sparked your interest? I was at Nine Elms to see the All Black captain, David Gallaher, and came across J Winters’ grave while I was there.  

Memus is a small village in the parish of Tannadice, Angus (Scotland). James Winter is commemorated on the Tannadice War Memorial. I researched the men on the Tannadice War Memorial about five years ago, but I already knew about James Winter as three cousins are commemorated on the war memorial of a nearby parish which I had researched before that.

Edited by rolt968

• 2 weeks later...