Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WOUNDED DISCHARGE?

Emily Gillatt-Ball

Hello again lovely people who know everything! I'm hoping you can help me again, please.

A soldier I'm researching for a friend (Lance-Sgt, Royal Fusiliers) was discharged with the following under 'Remarks' on his medal roll index:

C C "W" A res.

Died 6.4.18 after discharge.

Would I be right in thinking he was discharged because he was wounded? And do the inverted commas around "W" suggest there was anything dodgy about it - self-inflicted, shell-shock ?

There is nothing under Theatre of War First Served in, but Date of Entry Therein is 21.8.14 

He appears to have been awarded the 3 medals.

I'm sorry - this one wasn't in the Royal Fusiliers!

Archie E Scrivener - Somerset Light Infantry 7364

Archie was discharged from service on the 19/2/1918 and placed in Class W Army Reserves      (Cl "W" A Res)

He died after being discharged from service

Ray

Wow, thank you VERY much! Where did you get the cause of death, if you don't mind my asking?

Hi Emily,

16 hours ago, Emily Gillatt-Ball said:

Where did you get the cause of death, if you don't mind my asking?

I believe it's from a pension index card that Fold3 has - link. Archibald also has some surviving service papers which show some detail following on from his original 1904 enlistment including a wounding which seems to be the original cause of him being withdrawn from front line service. It should be available on Ancestry - the Findmypast link is here.

image.png.728ffb7ae16f9b30ee35cfcb735ca9a2.png

image.png.deb2ab41c44b4a5753b95d43a73ec26e.png

image.png.3e234d1b90bca4a6ac8437e0b454f75c.png

image.png.6b4c53cf90a971c38a827d0f3b20ab38.png

Images sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Chris is correct 

The data is from the western front pension documents, which can be accessed on fold 3 on ancestry  or on ancestry vie the western front association, if a subscriber

Cause of death

I read it as

(1) mitral regurgitation (2) Syncope

Commencing on active service

Google tells me

Mitral regurgitation is leakage of blood backward through the mitral valve each time the left ventricle contracts A leaking mitral valve allows blood to flow in two directions during the contraction.

Syncope is a temporary loss of consciousness usually related to insufficient blood flow to the brain. It's also called fainting or "passing out." It most often occurs when blood pressure is too low (hypotension) and the heart doesn't pump enough oxygen to the brain.

Ray

That is absolutely brilliant and exactly what I was looking for, especially the part about "nerves." This matches up with a family rumour I was trying to clarify.

I didn't realise Findmypast had those kind of documents - I have a subscription to Ancestry but they're not (as far as I know) on there.

Thank you both.

11 minutes ago, Emily Gillatt-Ball said:

That is absolutely brilliant and exactly what I was looking for, especially the part about "nerves." This matches up with a family rumour I was trying to clarify.

I didn't realise Findmypast had those kind of documents - I have a subscription to Ancestry but they're not (as far as I know) on there.

Thank you both.

Ancestry and Fold3 have the same records when it comes to the service records. The difference is that FindMyPast separately indexed a lot of records that Ancestry simply left jumbled up amongst others. The FMP search engine is far better at finding their own records.

Craig

He's also on a Casualty List. Daily list 1/8/16 for the GSW neck & possibly the neurasthenia.

Surname spelled as Serivener.

His record (post#7) could be on ancestry but just not indexed well enough to find.

TEW

Hi Emily,

2 hours ago, Emily Gillatt-Ball said:

I have a subscription to Ancestry but they're not (as far as I know) on there.

On Ancestry, the service papers are indexed under the name of Archibald Edward Serivener [sic]link

Regards

Chris

And this is why I love this forum! You are all so amazingly kind and helpful. I only wish there was a similar forum for WW2 - could anyone recommend one?

Hi Emily,

In his service record it notes that he was admitted to 12 General Hospital (Rouen) in May 1915 suffering from rheumatism. That would appear to cross reference to a hospital admission record that FMP has - link. They though appear to have mis-transcribed his unit as being the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), rather than the Somerset Light Infantry. The actual register entry shows:

image.png.dbc403b4196279b34ee076b91d2525d4.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

The record shows that he was admitted to 3 Casualty Clearing Station (Bailleul) on 17.5.1915, and was discharged from there on 18.5.1915. The 'discharged to' place is indicated by one of a number of ditto marks' under the third bit of writing in the image below. I'm not certain, but I think that it may be taken to read "To No 7 AT" - so discharged from 3 CCS to #7 Ambulance Train, and then on to 12 General Hospital ?

image.png.aa83b8768fb9ca5fa9b17abb0d899296.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

His medal roll records (Ancestry link) indicate that his overseas service was entirely with the 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry. On Ancestry, the Bn war diary starts here. Unfortunately you would have to download a page at a time. From the National Archives you can download in date chunks, at £3.50 a go - link.

36 minutes ago, Emily Gillatt-Ball said:

I only wish there was a similar forum for WW2 - could anyone recommend one?

It might be worth trying WW2Talk - link

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

3 CCS diary has;

17/5/15. Admitted ordinary ranks sick 152.

18/5/15. Evacuated by No. 7 AT ordinary ranks 262.

Rouen Base only reports AT No. 3 arriving on 18th with 240 and an improvised AT on 19th with 993 both from from Boulogne. In fact all AT arrivals in May for Rouen come from Boulogne. So, arrived at Rouen via a trip to Boulogne?

TEW