Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

BIFFO

1914 Clasp

BIFFO

as im self isolating it has given me time to sort out  my medals to research,I have a 14 trio to a welsh man who K.I.A near langermarc 25-10-14 on his 14 star there is a clasp with  2/2762 what can be deduced from this ?

:poppy:

seaJane

Long shot, but name Rowlands by any chance?

Keith_history_buff

There's a post or two on here that states the following: 

When 1914 Stars were issues to the NoK of fatalities, they were automatically issued with the clasp. By definition, the deceased would not be wearing ribbon bars, so no roses were issued. There must be an Army Order or similar, whereby the deceased automatically got the clasp, whereas those that were still living had to apply for it.

Not sure if someone like Justin can elucidate as to what the clasp reference would mean. If you were to look at a number of persons confirmed to have received the clasp, I would imagine a similar reference is showing. If you have access to the medal rolls on Ancestry, that may be the quickest way to see numerous entries for clasp recipients.

BIFFO

Thank you all cleared that up :thumbsup:

BIFFO

Nope SJ,

For a change im STUCK AGAIN:w00t:

My 14 trio man 

James Henry Lewis service number 8776

2nd battalion Welsh regiment

kia 21-10-14

as  he was a lance corporal when kia he only went "over there"31-8-14, so he must have previous military service ?

I have asked a wr expert who can only say he enlisted at maesteg,

1911 England/Wales census

has his address as Main Barracks Abyssinia Cairo Egypt how can I fin when he joined and why was he in Egypt?

any help would be good :thumbsup:

seaJane

CWGC has him killed 25/10/15, not 21, not that that helps much...

I see his Medal Index Card has one of those *X* cross-reference marks to him as "Pte" but I don't know where you'd trace that back to.

This is the only likely man on FreeBMD:

Familysearch.org gives the census address as Abbassia, Egypt and he is with the 1st Bn Welch Regiment (along with 3 other Lewises in the same "household" who I suppose were messmates) :

The 1st Battalion had been in Egypt in 1886 but went back to Pembroke in 1893 before being sent out to the Boer War. I think in 1911 they were probably between India and Wales but as I'm not an expert it would be better to ask one. I can't see him anywhere in TNA and the Regimental Museum charges £35 for research ...

BIFFO

Thank you SJ,:thumbsup:

I have him on census 1901 but cannot find him on 1891 even on English  Wales census very curious ?

born in Swansea,later I will looksee wd for 2nd

:poppy:

seaJane

Yes, 1911 says Swansea but they're all pretty close together so I'm wondering if there was a mix-up or he actually didn't know where he was born? It is odd about the 1891 census unless they were an army family and he was abroad, he would only have been about 5 at the time.

BIFFO

Thank you again SJ,:thumbsup:

1901 he is an underground colliery worker living in Swansea,with his widowed mother who died 1903,so he may have got on his toes and joined up as he had no mother-father,its a mystery I dont think I will be able to sort.The chap I wrote to if he doesnt know much about him in the Welsh regiment its not worth knowing.