Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Keith_history_buff

Service numbers appearing on census for unit

Keith_history_buff

I wondered if others would be able to share details of units on the census where there is the good fortune of the enumerator having recorded the service number on the form.

Colour Sergeant William Chamberlain was in a company of mounted infantry, from the 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers. His service number of 6185 and he was located at Harrismith. His colleagues in the other companies, stationed at Pretoria do not have this recorded. Also located at Harrismith is another company of mounted infantry, from the 2nd Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.

Has anyone else come across service numbers recorded for pre-war regulars? 

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

The 1911 Census?

Keith_history_buff

I know there are several instances for the 1911 census.

If there are instances of WW1 veterans who appear on the 1901 census with their service number, I would be interested to hear more, and very surprised too.

Pat Atkins

2nd South Lancs in the Irish 1911 Census; not sure regimental numbers are recorded for all companies in Buttevant, but certainly some are.

No idea about 1901 Census, however.

Cheers, Pat.

Keith_history_buff

Thanks Pat. 

Whilst it seems unlikely there are entries with recorded service numbers on the 1901 census, there are two factors that mitigate against this. The first is that the overseas entries were not being recorded in 1911, and secondly a large chunk of the army was in South Africa fighting the Boers.

Although his service number is not recorded, I did come across one man who is in barracks on the 1891 census.