Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance

alantwo

I would be grateful if anyone can let me know the location of the London Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance at Suvla on or around 24th September 1915. The casualty I'm looking into was wounded at Hill 50 and admitted on that day.

My thanks in advance.

Alan

Alan,

I think that this is what your looking for, but it should be double checked

Sir Richard Luce has

The 2nd South Midland Field Ambulance moved from Chocolate Hill to the beach south of Nebruniessi Point September 5, leaving an advanced dressing station halfway between them and the right of our line. The London Field Ambulance moved to the same locality on September 24, leaving only an advanced dressing station at Chocolate Hill

Does his London Field Ambulance = London Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance?

Ref: WAR EXPERIENCES OF A TERRITORIAL MEDICAL OFFICER.

By MAJOR-GENERAL SIR RICHARD LUCE, K.C.M.G., C.B., M.B., F.R.C.S.

Chapter VI – August 21

Best regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

further to the above

Luce goes on to mention the Scottish Horse Field Ambulance & the Highland Field Ambulance, all in this one area, together with 14thCCS and the Field Ambulances of the 53rd & 10th Divs,

The map below has the 53rdCCS marked, but next to a Field Ambulance symbol (?)

Guess:- the beach which Luce is refering to is that just north of the bridge over the Gap

2137007864_7.MapmedicalservicesSuvla.jpg.13246fefac9c1f1f9ba5f4f2598a2cf4.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

1/4 London Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance diary records being ordered on 24 Sep to move from Chocolate Hill (because it was being shelled) to C Beach leaving an ADS at Chocolate Hill.  The FA did not open, the men "proceeding to the coast for a rest" leaving Capt Findlater and 12 men to form an ADS.  The  wording suggests this was the left behind ADS as these men rejoined the C Beach location on Oct 1.  The move took place starting at 1030 pm so wounded could still have been being accepted on Chocolate Hill rather than on the beach on 24 Sep.

Max

Max and Michael 

Thanks for your responses, my casualty was in ‘A’ Battery, 59th Brigade RFA and at Chocolate Hill which ties in with your comments. The War Diary has a wounded man on 25th though the man’s Service Record has 24th. Clearly the area was being shelled, hence the wounded man, and a reason for the Field Ambulance to move. Which ever day, he appears to have been treated at Chocolate Hill by the FA or ADS of the London Mounted Brigade before being evacuated.

Thanks for your help it is always appreciated.

Kind regards

Alan

Edited by alantwo