Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with navy records transcrption pls

adeleW

hi all, very new to all this discovery. I have my g.grandfathers naval records but finding it impossible to figure it all out. can anyone help me please, also photos of the ships would be amazing. would really appreciate the help.

Screenshot_20200322-135932__01.jpg

Welcome to the GWF

He enlisted as a Special Service (SS) seaman rating (ordinary seaman, later able seaman) on an SS engagement which required him to serve 5 years in the Fleet followed by 7 years in the Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR).

The only two sea-going ships during his wartime service were HMS CATTISTOCK (minesweeper based on HMS COLLEEN at Queenstown, Ireland) and HMS SHARK (destroyer based on HMS BLENHEIM at Mudros, Lemnos in 3th Destroyer Flotilla in the Aegean). Between these sea-going drafts he was in the RN Barracks, Chatham (HMS PEMBROKE). From June to November 1919 he was drafted to the shore base at Sheerness, HMS ACTAEON.

In January 1920 he completed his 5 years Fleet time and was discharged "Shore Time Expired (TE)" and into the RFR.

Search online for photos of his ships.

Edited by horatio2

that's incredible. you have done more than what I have done in hours. should have come on the site in the first place. thank you so much

excellent help :thumbsup:

Another snippet from his record. You will see that on 8 April 1921 he was mobilised from the RFR and drafted to Chatham (HMS PEMBROKE). His call-up lasted until 6 June and was occasioned by the national miners' strike at that time, when thousands of reservists were called forward.

Edited by horatio2

you have made my day. thank you again. guessing this is the time to get stuck in to the family tree when you cant go out!!! really really interesting. thanks 

Adele

You might be interested in the book 13 SHARKS.  THE CAREERS OF A SERIES OF SMALL ROYAL NAVY SHIPS, FROM THE GLORIOUS REVOLUTION TO D-DAY by John D. Grainger, Pen & Sword (Barnsley, 2016) which includes an account of the ship's activities (pp.175-181) in the Adriatic, Aegean and Black Seas during the time your great grandfather was aboard which is based on the ship's logs, which are held at the National Archives (ADM 53/59982 - 59985) and appears reasonably well informed.

Malcolm

that's wonderful , thank you. It would be really interesting to see and understand what they got up to!!

He also had a brother called frank that was in the navy at the same time but I'm yet to find out info. we had no information or pictures of them until a few years ago my aunt found this wonderful photo on the local market stall. the one sitting is William and the one standing is frank. just wonderful to see what they look like, makes them real in a sense.

many thanks for all your efforts.

kind regards adele

IMG_20190408_134518_kindlephoto-8133000.jpg

2 minutes ago, adeleW said:

need to find out what a special service stoker is now

Same as an SS seaman but a stoker. SS engagement terms identical (5+7).

This man had a few days in the battleship HMS BELLEROPHON  and also served at sea in the destroyer ORIOLE (based at Chatham on the destroyer depot ship PRINCE GEORGE).

cheeky I know but I found it..... what magic can you produce with this. (if you don't mind), I hope no one wants dinner tonight, im to busy heehee

frank navy records.jpg

HMS VULCAN was a non-sea-going depot ship. He appears to have concluded his service in HMS CALYPSO a Royal Navy cruiser. His engagement was terminated in late 1922 under the terms of an Admiralty Fleet Order (AFO) which saw the post-WW1 drastic reduction in the Fleet. His engagement ended and he was not required to join the RFR. He was paid a cash bonus (discharged with bonus on reduction).

Edited by horatio2
HMS CALYPSO

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2020 at 13:01, adeleW said:

that's wonderful , thank you. It would be really interesting to see and understand what they got up to!!

He also had a brother called frank that was in the navy at the same time but I'm yet to find out info. we had no information or pictures of them until a few years ago my aunt found this wonderful photo on the local market stall. the one sitting is William and the one standing is frank. just wonderful to see what they look like, makes them real in a sense.

many thanks for all your efforts.

kind regards adele

IMG_20190408_134518_kindlephoto-8133000.jpg

Adele,

See this to colorize this photo, it is in the Photos sub-forum here at GWF.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/279970-free-colourization-of-bw-pphotos-until-22nd-april/

Regards,

JMB