Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Medical War 1914-1918 and 2020.

PhilB

The medical services are going into a time where demands on it may be worse than at any time since WW1. Are there any comparisons, lessons or warnings to be drawn?

Don't get me started.  The closure of all military medical hospitals apart from the Birmingham Medical School has been a disaster, in my opinion, and severely hampers any ability to mobilise additional hospital capacity from the defence assets of the United Kingdom.  A great many of the military medical units rely on reservists from the NHS so that there is also no surge capability utilising military staff, because the vast majority of them are already working as civilians in the hospitals requiring extra support.  If you're wondering why there are no field hospitals being set up, as there are in Italy and Spain, that's the reason.  Chickens coming home to roost......

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Don't get me started.  The closure of all military medical hospitals apart from the Birmingham Medical School has been a disaster, in my opinion, and severely hampers any ability to mobilise additional hospital capacity from the defence assets of the United Kingdom.  A great many of the military medical units rely on reservists from the NHS so that there is also no surge capability utilising military staff, because the vast majority of them are already working as civilians in the hospitals requiring extra support.  If you're wondering why there are no field hospitals being set up, as there are in Italy and Spain, that's the reason.  Chickens coming home to roost......

A friend whose son is serving in an infantry regiment,  told us today his barracks are being cleared to become emergency wards.  Half the soldiers are being sent home and told to isolate themselves to eventually replace the half that remain when they (inevitably) get sick.

Sounds like a plan.

Ken

8 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

A friend whose son is serving in an infantry regiment,  told us today his barracks are being cleared to become emergency wards.  Half the soldiers are being sent home and told to isolate themselves to eventually replace the half that remain when they (inevitably) get sick.

Sounds like a plan.

Ken

Plus ça change....

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hospital-based colleague of mine in the RNMS recovering from the virus as I write.