Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AOC Cameroon Campaign

Douglas29

Seeking advice as to research routes to learn more the role of the AOC role in the West African campaign in Cameroon, as great grandfather served 1914 -1916 in this theatre of war.

Hello

Try and put as much information about your Great Grandfathers military info on here, service number etc

As for Cameroon  and him possibly serving 1914 to 1916

The first engagement between British and German troops in the campaign took place at the Battle of Tepe, on 25 August 1914 eventually resulting in German withdrawal

In the far north British forces attempted to take the German fort at Mora but initially failed. This resulted in a long siege of German positions which would last until the end of the campaign. British forces in the south attacking Nsanakang were defeated and almost completely destroyed by German counter-attacks at the Battle of Nsanakong.

MacLear then pushed his forces further inland towards the German stronghold of Garua but was repulsed in the First Battle of Garua on 31 August 1914

1915 - some of the battles

Battle of Gurin

Second Battle of Garua

Battle of Ngaundere

Siege of Mora

Early 1916 - German and allies surrender

John

Dear John,

Thanks for you Reply. Will dig out the Service Detail of Alfred Henry Willson and post them here.

Regards

Douglas

Dear John,

I found the following out about my Great grandfather, At Sgt Major Alfred Henry Willson,  number T/14, later commission in June 1918 Lieutenant Assistant lnspector of Ordnance Machinery, RAOC

He sailed to Sierra Leone on 20th June 1914, as detailed on the Army Ordnance Gazette (15th July 1914). He served in the theatre until 1916, Hence my interest in finding out how  the AOC were involved in within this theatre.

Army List 1924

Lieutenant Assistant lnspector of Ordnance Machinery, RAOC

Seen war service in an overseas theatre of war.

1914-1919
ln ranks:
wt off:
wt off cL.1:
14yrs 98 days
3yrs 177 days
3yrs 148 days
1914 -15 Star
British War Medal
Victory Medal
Aug 1914 - Nov 1915:
Dec 1915 - 11 Nov 1918
Awards
Kamerun & Nigeria
France & Belgium

Found this 

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 24 JUNE, 1918

ARMY ORDNANCE DEPT. Armt. Serjt.-Maj. Alfred Henry Willson, A.O.C., to be an Asst. Inspr. of Ord. Mach. with the hon. rank of Lt. 25th June 1918. 

John

As for their role, It dealt only with the supply and maintenance of weaponry, munitions and other military equipment as far as I know

John

Thanks John,

I've found a copy of the Offical History of the Kamerun & Nigeria  campaign published HMSO in c 1920 on the web, so just ordered it. This should also assist.

Good idea and I'm sure it will provide some clues to build up a better picture :thumbsup:

I'm guessing he went to France\ Belguim after the  Kamerun & Nigeria campaign ?

John

As and when the RLC museum reopens you may want to have a chat with them as they are the Keepers of historical documents relating to forming Corps. When I was doing some research on the East African campaign I'm sure I came across stuff in there archive.

Best of luck with your research.

Roy

Dear Roy.

many thanks for the advice, will follow up once our world is back to normal.

Regards

douglas

On 22/03/2020 at 21:24, johnmelling1979 said:

Good idea and I'm sure it will provide some clues to build up a better picture :thumbsup:

I'm guessing he went to France\ Belguim after the  Kamerun & Nigeria campaign ?

John

He did and was there until November 1918