Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front Ruins, May 1919, Part I

ejwalshe

While awaiting demobilization in England during the Spring of 1919, the Official Canadian War Photographer was instructed to return to the Western Front in order to capture images of the desolation and ruins of battlefields of the Canadian Corps in Belgium and France. Lt. William Rider-Rider and his crew captured over 100 images during April & May 1919, stretching from Étaples to Cambrai, and covering almost every major battle of the Canadian Corps from the Second Battle of Ypres in 1915 to the Battle of Cambrai during the Last Hundred Days in 1918.

Thanks Ted, excellent.

Pete.

Ditto.

Thanks for posting.

Cracking images.

Gary.

excellent :poppy:

Thanks everyone on behalf of Lt William Rider-Rider.  Had been sitting on most of these for a while, recently having completed cataloging this sequence of images.

Who would have thunk it....the very last one I found (last image in Part I), is so full of information in regards to the Missing Men of the 16th Battalion from Vimy Ridge, 9 April 1917.

very nice !!!

Thanks for posting!

Looking forward to part 2.

M.

Brilliant! nicely put together and an appropriate soundtrack. Rather puts into perspective today's problems: not only would the locals have had  the Spanish flu to contend with, but also decimated towns, villages, farms & countryside.

NigelS