Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

244251 Pvt Frederick Harold Davenport

BillB

I believe this man was in the Royal Field Artillery, can anybody please tell me, from his service number 244251, which Brigade he was in?  Any help gratefully received.

Hi and welcome to the forum. 

The members will surely help you

If you have any more information such as DOB, where from etc, spouse and such

regards

Jon

Thanks for the speedy reply.  He was born in 1892 in Higher Walton, near Preston.  From 1908 to 1913 he served in the Territorials with 2nd West Lancs Brigade.  I don't know what year he re-enlisted but he didn't get the 1915 Star.  If he had returned to West Lancs Brigade when he rejoined I would expect him to have a number in the 680xxx range.

1911 census on Ancestry has him as a cotton weaver

and THIS will be his attestation to 2nd West Lancs

Thanks, yes, I have all that information already.  He was discharged having served his time in the West Lancs in 1913.  I'm trying to trace his Brigade after he re-enlisted via his service number, 244251.  This is the new-style number issued from 1917.

Hi BillB,

He has a hospital admission/discharge register record on Findmypast (link) which has him serving with 223 Bde in July 1918. On 19.7.1918 he was both admitted to, and discharged from 31 Ambulance Train, suffering with influenza.

It looks like he may have 'rejoined'/been called up in September 1917:

244250 Prothero - mobilised from Army Reserve, and posted to #2 Depot (Preston) 7.9.1917

244267 McKenzie - not much in his service file, but one page shows an 'enlistment' date of 7.9.1917

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk