Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James McHutchison 5/6th Cameronians

Sjack91

Hi all

I have some information on the soldier named above but I am struggling to determine dates of where he was and when. His medal index card states that he qualified on 5/11/1914. I assume this is the date that he landed overseas. in November 1919 he was residing at Cockhill, Bellshill, Lanarkshire and was employed as a licensed grocer. He was 28 years old. His service details are listed on another document as;

5th Sco Rif 6995

5th Sco Rif SGT

att 9 Sco Rif 6995

9 Sco Rif 43260

2 Sco Rif 43260

He was entitled to the Star, Victory and Service medal.

I am trying to determine the dates he was in these Battalions so that I can gauge where he roughly was and when. Any help would be appreciated.

Stuart

James McHutchison Post card.jpg

Interestingly Find My Past has other information!

Attested 6-8-14

and 3rd Battalion Scottish Rifles dated 9-11-18

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007378370%2F00173&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7378370%2F8%2F173

George

Also states Sgt 9th SR when granted leave in 1917

George

Stuart, 

It's only a tiny point but 5/11/14 is also the date recorded on a 2nd Scottish Rifles medal card I've saved. 

I had a very quick scan over the 1911 Census when the 2nd were at Colchester. I did it visually as Ancestry is poor at 'Mc' names but didn't see him. Will have a better look tonight. 

Hi all

Thanks for the information. I am only on ancestry but will pay the monthly subscription to see what the FMP record says.

I found a marriage certificate for him for 10th of February 1916. He was married at Cadder Street in Glasgow and lists his occupation as Mercantile Clerk, Sergt 1/5th Battalion Scottish rifles. Gives us something further to go on.

Stuart

The 1914 Star rolls have him as 5th SR when he qualified for the award (5.11.14); I think you must already know this, but just in case.

10 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Interestingly Find My Past has other information!

Attested 6-8-14

and 3rd Battalion Scottish Rifles dated 9-11-18

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007378370%2F00173&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7378370%2F8%2F173

George

Loads of great information contained in these documents. Delighted that you found them for me. Piecing together the parts of the puzzle now.

Could anyone assist with the name of the place he was treated between 20/04/16- 8/6/16?

regards

Stuart 

4915BD1C-DC4B-47B5-8990-1D9337AD1FC9.jpeg

Can't see dates but Le Treport

George

37 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Can't see dates but Le Treport

George

thanks George. Excellent. Here is the information.

FB62E5DC-0CCE-42C0-934A-51F5AADD1AFB.jpeg

I think: 16 General Hospital Le Treport ex 12 Ambulance Train; 3 Convalescence Depot Le Treport.

3 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

I think: 16 General Hospital Le Treport ex 12 Ambulance Train; 3 Convalescence Depot Le Treport.

I'm with Pat. 16 General Hospital it is.  16 General Hospital was in Le Treport Jan 15 - Feb 19. 

Interestingly, but sadly totally unrelated to your post, is that 16 General Hospital was, according to “LOCATION OF HOSPITALS AND CASUALTY CLEARING STATIONS IN THE GREAT WAR” (Ministry of Pensions to the British Red Cross Society Records Office dated 13 July 1923), “taken over by the American Army June 1917” This is true but misleading. US Base Hospital No 10 was organized at Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia and was one of the original six US hospitals assigned to duty with the British. It operated No 16 General Hospital (and remained attached to the British) from 12 June 1917 until February 1919.

Edited by TullochArd

According to the 5th Scottish Rifles Bn History J McHutchison was a rifleman in No 6 Company on going to France in November 1914.

No mention in the index. 

Hi All

Thanks for the excellent assistance. Without it I would struggle to complete the puzzle. As you may be aware from other threads I am writing a book about men who were members of the Freemasons Lodge in Uddingston and served in The Great War. I have been researching now for around 4 years, as a hobby with great success thanks to the assistance on this forum. I have included the rough draft for James below. I hope that it makes sense. Any comments would be much appreciated.

James McHutchison

Lodge Roll Number 1091.

Aged 28 when Initiated on 19th of November 1919.

Residing at Cockhill, Bellshill.

Occupation was Licensed Grocer

EA Degree- 19th of November 1919.

FC Degree- CHECK RECORDS

MM Degree- CHECK RECORDS

James McHutchison was born at the family home at Douglas Place, Bellshill in November 1890 . He was the son of William McHutchison who was a Master Grocer from the Clarkston area of Glasgow. His Mother was Jeanie McHutchison (Campbell) who was born and raised in Bellshill. The couple married at Bothwell on the 12th of March 1889. In the 1891 census the family are residing at Douglas Place, Bellshill. William is the head of the family aged 32, with his wife Jeanie aged 22. James is an only child on this date and is 4 months old. Later in the 1901 census the family have moved to Cockhill in Bellshill. James is now 10 years of age and is at school. He has a younger sister Jeanie (7) who is also at school and is named after there mother. Both parents are also residing at the address along with two borders, Janet McLellan and Elise Steel, there relationship to the family is unknown. At the time of the 1911 census the family are still residing at Cockhill in Bellshill, however there Mother Jeanie is no longer residing there and we must presume she has died. William McHutchison in now 52 years of age and employed as a Grocer. James who is 20, is employed as a Mercantile Clerk. Jeanie who is 17 is still at school which at that time would have been seen as a rare occurrence as at that age you would be expected to work.  

In 1914 at the outbreak of War James attested and joined the 5th Cameronians, Scottish Rifles on the 6th of August 1914. The 5th Cameronians trained at Larbert, Stirlingshire before they embarked overseas arriving in Le Harve on the 5th of November 1914. James was issued service number 6995. This new army which was attached to the 19th Brigade in the 6th Division assisted the under pressure British Expeditionary Force units on the Aisne before moving North to Flanders. The 5th Cameronians were involved in the Christmas truce of 1914 where some British and German front line troops took time to pause and greet each other on Christmas Day. In late May 1915 the 19th Brigade transferred to the 27th Division and at this time they were involved in fighting at the Second Battle of Ypres. Later in August 1915 they moved to the 2nd Division and then in November 1915 to the 33rd Division. This being a clear sign of the pressure the British Army was under due to catastrophic losses Divisions were chopped and changed to make up number. James who would now be classed as an experience soldier would be used to strengthen newer, inexperienced divisions.

On the 10th of February 1916 James aged 25 was home on leave and married Christina MacDougall (25) at her family home at 67 Cadder Street in Glasgow. The marriage was conducted by a Church of Scotland minister and interestingly on the marriage certificate James lists that he is employed as a Sergeant with the 1/5th Battalion Scottish Rifles. He therefore must have been promoted, no record lists when this took place, however all records going forward now list James as a Sergeant.

In April 1916 the 5th Cameronians as part of the 33rd Division were north of Arras near to Cuinchy and Beuvry. On the 20th of April James is admitted to hospital with gunshot wounds to his right thigh, leg and elbow. Between the 19th and 20th of April before he was admitted to hospital both the British and Germans are using mine warfare in the area. The Germans more so than the British were undermining trenches then using powerful explosions to cripple and disturb each other. There is mention in the War diary of Captain Russell and two stretcher bearers being killed with 4 others wounded. We can only presume it was at this time James was one of the 4 wounded. James was transferred by number 12 Ambulance Train to the French coastal town of Le Treport. It was at the 16 General Hospital that he was treated from 20th of April 1916 until he is discharged and returns to service on the 8th of June 1916.

On the 29th of May 1916 the 5th Cameronians merged with the 6th Cameronians to form the 5/6th Battalion. They were involved in some of the fiercest fighting at the Somme in 1916, Arras, the Third Battle of Ypres, the Battles of the Lys, attacks on the Hindenburg Line and the final advance in 1918. In 1917 there is a renumbering with new service numbers issued. James is now issued with the service number 43260. Between 14th November 1916 and 22nd of March 1917 he again appears in hospital suffering from Influenza, Typhoid and Paratyphoid. He spends time at Mill Road Infirmary in Liverpool and two other named hospitals which cannot be read due to damage on his service document. He was clearly very ill and lucky to survive these fevers which were synonymous with soldier’s deaths in The Great War.

After recovering James appears to spend the rest of the War moving around Battalions which were involved in major battles. He spends time with the 9th, 3rd and the 2nd Battalions of the Cameronians. The second Battalion finish the War on the 11.11.1918 at Jenlain north of Le Quesnoy, France. James was demobilised on the 7th of February 1919 at Georgetown in Paisley. Later that year he welcomed the birth of a son William. He was initiated into Lodge St. Bryde 579 on the 19th of November 1919 while residing at Cockhill in Bellshill. After his long War service he had returned to work, now following in his father’s footsteps as a Grocer. In 1924 a daughter Marjory Harve McHutchison was born to make the family complete. Interesting the middle name for his daughter, (Le) Harve was the name of the place James embarked in 1914 and I can only wonder if he spent time in a hospital here when he was wounded or seriously ill. For his service in the Great War James was awarded the 1914/15 Star, Victory and British Service medal. He died in 1979 at the age of 88.

• 8 months later...

If at all possible for you to get in touch with me and I can fill in a few blanks for you but you have gave us information about Grandpa Mac as we didn't know that he was injured but we knew about when he was hospitalised with influenca.. Looking forward to hearing from you...