Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troop Entertainers

Drafter

My great grandmother Elsie Alexander was a troop entertainer with a friend of hers Hanna World War One. Don't have the exact dates when she started, got out of it and where she worked. What I was wondering were there alot women entertainers then and where might they have worked? Would it have been in England or on the European Continent? Is there any history on them like any source I could try very interested to knowing what they did like if it was telling stories, singing and skits. I guess if it was on the continent that it would have been in a camp that would have been not in a dangerous area. Did these entertainment groups go by any specific names wondering if this could help to narrow down the search. With the uniforms they were wearing could that help to narrow the search? Would the PRO have anything like that and would there be any rolls on this? But it also sounds like that they have been individual groups who weren't run by the armed forces.

The picture on the top is her friend Hanna and on the right is my great grandmother Elsie. Elsie was only 18 in that picture. Holding two what look like juggling pins. The picture on the bottom is the two of them again Hanna on the left Elsie on the right in this picture Elsie is 20. Holding a balloon. On the back of the pictures just shows the ages of Elsie, says her friends name and just says entertained the troops during World War One 1914-1918. So I don't know if they were entertaining from the beginning to the end of the war or part of it. Just wondering if there is a way I can get this verified. Any help on this would be greatly appreciate. Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

Drafter

post-38-1108254098.jpg

Hi,

There were no official arrangements for concert parties and those that existed tended to be privately funded. Most of the artistes that went to France (and further afield) were organised by a leading actress of the day called Lena Ashwell who wrote of their experiences in "Modern Troubadours". The parties were funded through private fund raising in the UK. As well as those parties that travelled abroad there were many organised in all sorts of ways in the UK - very often through the local good folk organising something at hospitals, barracks, camps etc.

Elsie Alexander is not a name that Lena Ashwell records as having formed a part of any of her concert parties, so it is more likely that she performed in the UK, but you can never be sure! There were other parties that went to France, Flanders etc but little is recorded of them. The Salvation Army and YMCA also undertook some organisation of parties abroad. Perhaps she had links with these organisations?

The PRO/NA don't really hold material on this sort of thing. The most likely source of info (for the UK) are local newspapers and concert programmes kept by families.

For the performers at the front the most likely sources are programmes kept by individuals or occasionally found in archives. Performers in France could get quite close to the front lines and some concerts found themselves being shelled though they were never as far forward as the first or second line trenches.

Your photo might provide some clues.

Martin

I've now seen the pics. The first suggests to me either baton twirling or perhaps juggling. The second may imply something similar with the "balloons on sticks" (well, they look a bit like that).

Did Elsie have any sort of career in the theatre or in variety?

Thanks very much that was most helpful thought maybe the picture would provide clues which it seems like it has. Don't if she has had any experience in theatre or variety. Going to be seeing my grandmother tomorrow she is the daughter of Elsie. She may know more on this will ask her and will post more on it then. Don't either if my grandmother would have any newspaper clippings about Elsie's entertaining. Would the online gazzette say anything on troop entertainment going to check there anyway. Don't think she would have been on the front but not sure. Judging by both photos the one where there holding the juggling sticks suggest that they were maybe performing on stage looks like a background set. Were there any theatres in the UK or the front that may have this kind of set or theatre. Judging by the background set can you tell somehow where they might have performed maybe that could give a clue. As for the other photo where there holding balloons looks like there standing in front of a wood panel wall unless if its just a background painted to make it look like that on carpet. Wondering if that's a door or a wall in another theatre or if it's the same one again.

Elsie was born in Scotland either Glasgow or Edinburough January 1, 1899. My mom thinks that most likely that it would have been in the UK maybe around Scotland don't think it would be England could be wrong on that. Maybe unlikely also that she could have traveled with those groups to Flanders, France but never know though. Maybe she did have a connection to Sally Ann or the YMCA I know that Sally Ann was around then was the YMCA around then to. Does the YMCA have a web address I could look at? Going to check with Sally Ann also with YMCA.

Do you have the Lena Ashwell works who wrote of their experiences in "Modern Troubadours"? How would you be able to get a copy? Thanks alot for the help

Lena Ashwell drew most of her artistes from professionals in the theatre and music business. Performers could not simply arrive in the war zones and do a turn. They had to make arrangements with the authorities, which is why the Salvation Army and YMCA were usually involved in organising entertainments. These generally took place at hospitals, canteens, recreation huts etc on the Western Front.

Where did Elsie and Hanna live? It looks as if they did a juggling act. Their talents could well have been reported in their local press, which might make a useful first port of call.

Elsie was born in Scotland lived at Aberdeen she worked for a local bakery there she worked with a friend of hers there I think it was Hanna the same one in the photo I posted. My grandmother told me that Hanna is related as a cousin to my grandmother through Alexander Barlcay's side Elsie husband. I think Hanna is a daughter of one of Alexander's brothers or sisters. my grandmother doesn't know for sure. Here is a brief timeline.

January 1, 1899 Elsie is born in either Glasgow or Edinburough Scotland.

entertained the troop during World War One don't have the exact dates on it.

Around 1914 I think three of Alexander's sister went to Montreal, Quebec.

1919 Alexander left for Montreal, Quebec at age 25 went to his sister's place.

January 1921 Elsie went to Montreal, Quebec with Alexander's mother and his younger when Elsie was 21.

I would think that Hanna must have been living around Aberdeen as well. Could have been a juggling act to don't know if there act was recorded or not going to look into that. My grandmother doesn't know the name of the ship or where they sailed from him to get to Montreal.

Forgot to ask all of you do know if they would have been paid to entertain the during the war? If so how much would it have been? Or was it just voluntary?

Usually voluntary at both amateur and professional level. Expenses were paid, and of course board and lodging too, which was why there were so many fund-raising events here, to provide funds to send the artistes abroad to give (mostly) free concerts.

Judging by their ages, I would have thought that Elsie and Hanna would have done most of their entertaining at such fund-raising events, and at military hospitals in their locality.

• 2 weeks later...

They lived in Aberdeen, Scotland they both worked in a bakery at the time. That's where she met her husband Alexander Edward Barclay but they didn't marry until January 10, 1921 in Montreal, Quebec. My grandmother said that Hanna is related her last name was Barclay as a cousin through Alexander's side somehow. Don't know if they did any fund raising event or at a military hospital or not.