Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Clarke - which regiment

RedcoatJM

Thomas Clark was born in 1893 in Soho W1 and working at a Kensington fashion warehouse age 17yrs on the 1911 Census. So which British Regiment would he have joined and then posted to Dublin? When he marries an Irish woman March 1918 his address is at the 'Richmond Barracks'. They marry in a Roman Catholic Church, St Michael & John's South Dublin. 

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Richmond_Barracks,_Dublin.jpg

Hi

Welcome to the Forum

I assume this is your extensive tree on Ancestry - save anyone needing background details to check his military record CLICK for tree.

Neither his marriage cert, nor Herbert´s Birth Cert offer any further clues- So it is only his date of birth and his addresses that may help and they are on your web site

Apart from the marriage and birth, do you have other evidence to show he was in Dublin in 1914 and 1916 as on your Ancestry tree?

I would also add that your blog "researching and blogging about the absent father Thomas Clark" seems to have disappeared from the web

clark.jpg.790900a99e0a5fa951bc46569966b476.jpg

clark2.jpg.897c6eb894096797046f9e62d10cfe26.jpg

It does not get you anywhere, but the chances are that he served in a Scottish Regiment as he went to Glasgow with the family in 1919, and he does not appear to have any connection with Scotland

I believe that the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion of the Royal Berkshire Regiment was stationed at Richmond Barracks at the time. No guarantee that Thomas Clarke was with that unit, but something to investigate.

Richmond barracks also served as the 2nd cavalry depot, administering discharges for the 4th Queen's Own Hussars, the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars, the 11th Hussars and the 13th Hussars.  As a lot of Irishmen were raised around horses, it's possible that he might also have been in the cavalry.

The 3rd (Reserve) Regiment of the Royal Irish Regiment was also based in the barracks.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Great Grandfather Thomas Clarke was born in Soho 1893 so assumed he signed with a London Regiment, posted to Dublin. His father's name on marriage doc was mistake - it was Henry Clarke Tailor, not Herbert. He is marrying into army family.  His father-in-law Robert Ross posted to Dublin with 1st Seaforth Highlanders in 1886, from Edinburgh. His mother-in law Katy Fegan daughter of James Fegan who 1st Royal Irish Fusiliers and later Afghan campaign.

Been trying to find Thomas Clark's enlistment info for years, and match with regiments at Richmond Barracks.(Had my ticket to fly to London-Kew but had to cancel due to pandemic). 

So why did he and new wife and son head to Glasgow in 1919? His family all together at Cambuslang where his sister and her Italian husband ran Barber shops! Bypass the Spanish Flu(but not the impact of Syphilis).

23 hours ago, corisande said:

do you have other evidence to show he was in Dublin in 1914 and 1916 as on your Ancestry tree?

I reiterate my question

As far as I can see, the only certain things you have to connect him to Ireland are his marriage in March 1918 and the birth of the child in Dec 1918

After the 1916 Easter Rising, the garrisoning of Ireland was effected by British rather than Irish Regiments. So he was not necessarily in Ireland in 1916 (although he could have been) , but could have been posted there after Easter 1916 - unless you have other evidence !

Hi, the above certificates are the only evidence which is why I am scouting for military documents. The other items on his ancestry page are an aide to help have a visual marker of the events at the time. Thanks for your time.