Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1908 Church Lads Brigade- Bugle

Im hoping someone can help me please with some information regarding a bugle I have. 

It has stamped on it "Church Lads Brigade", "Fight the good fight", "Aldwych House LondonNWC" "1908" and the number "16" printed on it. 

Thank you. 

Welcome to the Forum Bec,

Unfortunately this will not fall within the confines of the GWF, so you may find that this topic will be locked by the Mods in the very near future.

However you can probably find more information by contacting the Church Lads Brigade itself, as I believe that they do have an archivist--just try googling the name and it should come up.

Best of luck,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

The number 16 is probably not significant. I would say a CLB company has bought a number of bugles and numbered them when giving them out to band members, the member's name being recorded beside the number in a record book.

I have thought about the idea but it is a huge task. Living in Northern Ireland I do not have easy access to KRRC archives. Also there is a lot of material available already if you are really interested...KRRC War Record, War Diaries, etc. There is a lot of material in The Brigade, the CLB monthly magazine and the book about the CLB Battalion in France, etc. And there there is the small matter of who would read it. Best wishes.

For Bec91

It is also possible that the 16 refers to Company Number 16 in the Brigade List. I checked my list and this company, St James' Boston, enrolled in 1892, was still operating in 1912. Sometimes these bugles have a company name stamped on them. I have one with Trinity Company. St James' Boston was in the Lincoln Regiment (Diocese).