Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Flying Fury - Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps"

The Scorer

I've recently been given this, which is the Memoir of Major James McCudden VC MC* DSO* MM.

I'm up to Chapter VII of Book IV (1916) and am enjoying it very much. Two things intrigues me, though - the publication date and the author of the footnotes. The inside page says

"This edition first  published 2000 by Wren's park Publishing, an imprint of W J Williams & Sons Ltd. This edition copyright Lionel Leventhal Limited, 2000. New Introduction and Victory List copyright Norman Franks, 2000." and "Flying Fury was first published in 1987 by Greenhill Books / Lionel Leventhal Limited, London."

So far, so good, you might say … but the contents of my copy are actually much older than 2000. This is borne out by the many footnotes, which date from 1930 and can be proved to be such as many of them say "now" with 1930 in brackets afterwards! They certainly weren't written by Norman Franks, because he wasn't born until 1940! 

So, does anyone know when the book was first published and / or who wrote the footnotes, please?

Thanks. 

Originally published as 'Five Years In The Flying Corps' by The Aeroplane and General Publishing Company in 1918.

Then John Hamilton reprinted it in 1930 under the title 'Flying Fury' with illustrations by Leonard Bridgman . C.G Grey who was editor of 

'The Aeroplane' wrote the introduction to the 1930 edition so i assume he also wrote the footnotes .

Edited by Black Maria

Thanks for the tip... another 99cent kindl book... I'm afraid our imposed confinement is not going to be enough...

OK... not funny... but got the book anyway... 

M.

So, does anyone know when the book was first published and / or who wrote the footnotes, please?

The footnotes were likely written by the book's editor, Charles G. Grey, who also wrote "Tales of the Flying Services" (1916) and edited "The Aeroplane". Of course the original notes might have been added to in later editions.

16 hours ago, other ranker said:

Originally published as 'Five Years In The Flying Corps' by The Aeroplane and General Publishing Company in 1918.

16 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Then John Hamilton reprinted it in 1930 under the title 'Flying Fury' with illustrations by Leonard Bridgman . C.G Grey who was editor of 

'The Aeroplane' wrote the introduction to the 1930 edition so i assume he also wrote the footnotes .

I think that these two responses taken together provide the answers to my questions - thank you, both.

I presume that the major differences between the 1918 & 1930 editions and mine is that mine contains the new introduction by Norman Franks and actual photos. Still, a good read, so far! 

I've now finished this, and it's a good read. 

However, I also applied my "rule" and asked the question: "Would I have liked to spent time with him?" and I'm afraid that the answer is "No". Despite his apparent confidence that everyone loved him, I wonder whether that was the truth - especially as he did seem to shoot down planes that other pilots maybe ought to have. That's a feeling, though, and one that may not, I accept be true.

What is true though, is that he was a very brave man, risking his life every time he flew - and not just from the Germans, as many of the planes weren't as safe as they should have been. 

1 hour ago, The Scorer said:

I've now finished this, and it's a good read. 

However, I also applied my "rule" and asked the question: "Would I have liked to spent time with him?" and I'm afraid that the answer is "No". Despite his apparent confidence that everyone loved him, I wonder whether that was the truth - especially as he did seem to shoot down planes that other pilots maybe ought to have. That's a feeling, though, and one that may not, I accept be true.

What is true though, is that he was a very brave man, risking his life every time he flew - and not just from the Germans, as many of the planes weren't as safe as they should have been. 

He is one of my boyhood heroes , my interest probably started when i discovered he flew from Joyce Green airfield which was near where i used to live ( Mannock flew

from there as well ) . I think it's typical of the British to have given Richthofen a full military funeral with all the trimmings but when it came to our own top 'ace' we only

managed a rather muted and rushed service for McCudden ( poor old Mannock never even got that) . 

SWMBO bought  this book as one of my festive season presents.  I haven't got round to reading it yet as still ploughing my way through other WW1 books.  It is the "Five Years version" i.e. no "Flying Fury" in the title.  The introduction is by C. G. Grey.  There is a note  before the Contents page stating "This book has been reprinted by Cedric Chivers Ltd. of Bath at the request of the London & Home Counties Branch of the Library Association by Jos.Adam, Brussels - Belgium.  ECM."

I can't find a date in it but I assume it is an earlier (re-)print (no references to 1930 that I can see from flicking through).  The title page does state  The aeroplane & general publishing co. ltd,  So I presume this is another variation of the book.

I think the Cedric Chivers reprints were from the 1970s.

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I think the Cedric Chivers reprints were from the 1970s.

Thanks for the info.