Remembered Today:

What's your time-filling project ?

ss002d6252

1 hour ago, chaz said:

the Triumph is nearly ready to go. 

20200321_130154.jpg

Very nicely done. A thing of beauty!

• 2 months later...

Have been researching my own family's role in the war and restoring photographs for members on the forum, very hard but interesting and rewarding work!

Currently working from home and researching tracking down the family of a soldier who's WW1 medal my friend just dug up in his back garden!!!

4 minutes ago, Lozicle said:

Currently working from home and researching tracking down the family of a soldier who's WW1 medal my friend just dug up in his back garden!!!

Wow, what a find! Hows the research coming along?

1 minute ago, sr97 said:

Wow, what a find! Hows the research coming along?

I know it's a crazy one! It's a British War Medal so thankfully inscribed along the edge. He was going to send it to me to keep as he knows my interest but I told him that if I can find the family there's no way we could keep it and need to reunite it with his family. It's going well so far, I will make a post about it all when I'm done :)

Working on my Roll of Honour for the North Somerset Yeomanry. Bio's and pictures when possible. 1300 other ranks on my file and so far written up about 220 so far, half way through the C's.  

My only WW1 related project has been to drop an 18 pounder drive band into a tub of 'rola cola' and will be converting it into a copper bangle to ward off arthritis, I have worn a copper bangle for donkeys years and often get asked if it works, I imagine I won't find out until I stop wearing one. Other than that I've turned a spare steel bin into a tandoor, about to finish the restoration of a vintage cast iron bench for my Dad who was 93 this week and am currently designing/building an extension for my mates baby tortoise house. As with my friend floor space is at a premium so Crusty the tortoise is going up in the world by having a 2 storey loft extension to his indoor house.

Other than that 'all quiet on the Diggle front'.

Simon

15 hours ago, Lozicle said:

I will make a post about it all when I'm done :)

Looking forward to it, can imagine how appreciative the family will be, wonder how it ended up in the garden of all places. What's the condition like?

I'm making my exercise interesting by photographing all the tributes to fallen sons and husbands (and a few WW2 Blitz casualties), in my local cemetery. There are over 500 CWGC graves, but the mentions on widows and parental headsrtones can be touching. I post images and a few notes about the casualties on a local FB page from time to time.  I have currently posted about 20, with up to 40 to go. I have found two IFCP cases, one according to Terry Denham a sure winner, as the chap died within the 28 days furlough on his protection certificate the other less certain. This family one is in a sad state, broken and flat, most are better. To save eyes, this remembers Chief SBA Thomas Miles Quartermain, RND, 1st Royal Marine Battalion, (originally Deal Battalion), who served during the defence of Antwerp, was wounded in 1915, presumably on Gallipolli,and was KIA on 13/11/1916 during the Battle of the Ancre. he is commemorated by the CWGC on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.

IMG_0774.JPG

23 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Chief SBA Thomas Miles Quartermain, RND, 1st Royal Marine Battalion, (originally Deal Battalion), who served during the defence of Antwerp, was wounded in 1915, presumably on Gallipolli,and was KIA on 13/11/1916 during the Battle of the Ancre. he is commemorated by the CWGC on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.

What a sad sight. Just for accuracy: a Chief Sick Berth Steward and commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

He was wounded (no details; probably minor) on 2 May 1915, probably at Anzac with Deal Bn. His record states he was also "injured" at Gallipoli (no details given) in August 1915. He was awarded a Certificate. by GOC RND , for 'Zeal & devotion to duty'. 

Besides the usual Irishmen in the great war who died after discharge, I am working on the missing graves in the 'Old Church Cemetery' in Queenstown (Cobh, County Cork). Many of these are on the Tower Hill Memorial but are buried in Cobh. A mass grave there of about 17 from one single ship, all un-named but others from the same ship not supposed to be there. Errors in the graves numbers for this cemetery and correcting them. Drawing map of those there and those missing and where they are in the cemetery in three of the four sections in the southern part of the cemetery. Although the Lusitania victims are buried there they are not part of this research.

Very interesting and keep me busy as a sand bee.

Kind regards.

Tom.

23 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Besides the usual Irishmen in the great war who died after discharge, I am working on the missing graves in the 'Old Church Cemetery' in Queenstown (Cobh, County Cork). Many of these are on the Tower Hill Memorial but are buried in Cobh. A mass grave there of about 17 from one single ship, all un-named but others from the same ship not supposed to be there. Errors in the graves numbers for this cemetery and correcting them. Drawing map of those there and those missing and where they are in the cemetery in three of the four sections in the southern part of the cemetery. Although the Lusitania victims are buried there they are not part of this research.

Very interesting and keep me busy as a sand bee.

Kind regards.

Tom.

And there is a Belgian casualty shown as being buried in this cemetery, but no trace of his grave that I could find (admittedly some years ago).

He is in Section C..15.45.

There are a lot of unmarked graves, others missing headstones, etc.

He is in this section.

image.png.735ace1a3ed476f62966ffcefce5ac6b.png

6 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Just for accuracy: a Chief Sick Berth Steward and commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Apologies, I knew the latter  really; but so many of the men mentioned in Kingston Cemetery here in Portsmouth  are of course on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. My concentration is sometimes erratic. Thank you for pointing out my lapse.

Edited by keithmroberts

Just completed a handful of replicas of the main types of French trench daggers, for my own amusement. Now moving on to making an Arkansas toothpick. Eagerly waiting for the gunshops to open up again.....

French Trench Daggers.jpg

9 hours ago, healdav said:

And there is a Belgian casualty shown as being buried in this cemetery, but no trace of his grave that I could find (admittedly some years ago).

There's a photo of his headstone in this thread:

A question JWK, is that not the Dutch insignia on the top of the stone?

My great uncle served with the 20th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers; he died in 1920 of complications following sickness contracted during his war service. I am transcribing the Battalion's war diary and adding brief biographical details of all the men who lost their lives in chronological order.

Not been off work but I have three pages on the go on Face Book for the 4th,5th & 4/5th Black Watch in the Great War.

Gary.

7 hours ago, museumtom said:

A question JWK, is that not the Dutch insignia on the top of the stone?

It's the Coat of Arms of Flanders.

The Dutch lion is similar, but it carries a sword:

Clipboard-3.jpg.3d01d3de5569ac5b435f42246a9c82cf.jpg

And as to the subject of this thread:

I'm putting the finishing touches to a transcription of the casualty list of IR16, in total 4200 names, but that official list (from the Regimental History) contains a lót of errors.

Double entries, misspelled names, surnames without a first name, missing deathdates etc etc etc.

Started that years ago with a view to submit the list to denkmalprojekt.org, but their template is quite different to my excel-sheet, so I'll be some time.

Ah well.......

Thanks JWK, I asked an ex Dutch Army buddy what he made of it and he says'image.png.06cd8bd62ac0204119613b0884c40f76.png'

Edited by museumtom

Very interesting information about the Belgian soldier in Ireland…

in addition to what already said about hitting the books… A friend contacted me during lockdown, he'd picked up his guitar again and needed a voice… so we've been working on a two-man show. First from afar and now still within security distances, although I could argue we belong to each other's "Bubble".

If you're all nice I'll post a video of the "première", due on july 11th

M.

Edited by Marilyne