Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st battalion welsh regiment Salonika

BIFFO

I have two questions

1 I cannot find the mic for john Pugh service number 10079 1st batt W.R I have looked for hours on this miserable Sunday afternoon

2 I have also looked on a well known website for the war diary 1st battalion all I can find 1914-October 1915,I believe after a short while in France they shipped out to Salonika ?.

born in Shrewsbury 1887 he  became bored  being a coal miner,,joined the welsh regiment in 1909 signed on for 7years( now that was a bad move,)

he "caught"a well known soldiers disease  :w00t: 3 times

malaria twice which I think discharged him from the army in York place div,general hospital,pavilion Brighton  1919

now to say this lad was a bit of a character is an understatement 

innumerable charges for mostly being drunk,absent without leave,lucky man went awol in England before they sailed, caught given 40 days field punishment, stripped of his corporal stripes at least twice,ended up as a l/corporal,   any help with MIC and war diary after 1915 would point me in the right direction

:poppy:

Biffo

Salonika war diaries are not yet digitized or online either on the NA or Ancestry. A trip to Kew may be needed.

Colin 

Edited by Colin W Taylor

thank you both very much for your help,:thumbsup:

Alf glad its not just me that couldn't find it,TNA for a mic bit steep£3.50 but I will see if they have the wd for 1st battalion

Now your a top man Mr Chris Baker,I went to TNA site and couldn't find the wd,well dear boy I can/will now :thumbsup:

Blimy Chris £8.40 a page,will sell not researched :wub:

It is not impossible that the regimental museum might have some material. Otherwise its either a trip to Kew with a camera, or pay a researcher, some will copy war diaries for very reasonable amounts.

Keith

Thank you Keith,I have sent a couple of leads out,if push comes to shove the chap I bought them from said he will buy back,shame really as over the years I have researched (with the help of GWF) lots of soldiers/nurses/V.A.DS some of the stories remarkable,one chap a red cross instructor,1914 joined r.a.m.c 3rd field ambulance, went to Gallipoli  shot up on c beach,tents full of shrapnel,when they moved to "green hill?"jacko could see the red crosses on the tents never fired another shot in there direction

oh and he was welsh :poppy: