Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aldis telescopic sight dated 1915

MartinN

I have a 1915 dated Aldis brothers telescopic sight. In good condition, I had it rebuilt. The intention was to mount it on an smle but never seem to have gotten around to it. What is it worth and what is the best way to sell it?

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly it will depend on what it is. By that I mean there are probably four main varriants of Aldis telescopic sights which were used  in WW1 and umpteen mounting methods and so perhaps a collector who would like an example of one they do not have might consider paying more than someone who would settle for a period sight to add to a live or even de activated rifle. Additionally the originallity v 're built' condition may influence desireability. If it has just had a clean,lube & adjust then originallity may still be preserved.

As to current value?.....haven't seen any recent prices but I have heard of WW1 rifle plus sight going for over 4k but I don't know if that is the rule or the exception.

Does it retain its original mount and leather case ? Has it been externally refinished as part of the rebuild process ? ‘Good condition’ covers a very broad spectrum and means different things to different people. I think some photographs would help.

If it were mine, I would stick it on eBay (Europe, Aus, N. America) when they’re having one of the free listing and £1 max selling fee offers, and start it around £750, assuming it’s just the scope. The WW2 equivalent, the No. 32 scopes for the No. 4(T) Enfield rifle, always do amazingly well on eBay, with prices iro £2k for a good scope with mounts and case. That said, I don’t think an Aldis scope would get to that level unless it was exceptional, complete with mounts and all original.

Cheers

Edited by Pete_C

No mount or leather case. The scope has externally not been touched. The service was internal only. Date stamped 1915. Even has the original rifle number on the exterior. 

Any chance of some photos ? Its not that I can help though other members may be able to and I and others may wish to further our knowledge about things we may not ordinarily come across. (sorry for the rant, cabin fever). 

Thanks, it looks to my amateurish eye to be in great condition.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Just spotted it - nice scope - it is an Aldis No3. 1 and 2 had a rearward-facing range locking screw rather than forward as per this one and the No 4 had a conical eyepiece, as opposed to the stepped one here. Saw a No4 (top of the range) go for £850 on auction a couple of months back. Price for these items always very much depends on how many people really, really want it - and if it still had Purdey rings on it, it would go for good money, but they are hens teeth. Also condition of the optics and reticule are key. Would imagine with the covid lockdown hitting people's pockets, start slightly lower - if everything is sound - £500-£700, and if you are prepared to wait for things to recover, £900-£1100.