Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please help on this Charlie Alexander WW1

Drafter

Thanks so very much for the help I really do appreciate it. I really do appreciate getting the info from the 1901 census. This opens up so much more on the Alexander tree in my family. The latest info that was posted what I was just unaware of was just with the birth years. Also with is Isabella she a daughter of Samuel and Mary. My grandmother never mentioned her. She told me about the other names other than Isabella I'm going to have ask her about that this wednesday. Don't know if Artie would have served in WW1 or not. The 1904 birthdate for Sam is an exact guess my grandmother and I made. What I knew was that Samuel Farquhar Alexander was a well known bootmaker a familiar figure in the boot manufacturing trade in Aberdeen had worked for Spey Boot Works had occupied an important position. Also had his very own boot making business don't know where. Went to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada after Spey Boot Works to see his family there. I think Charlie was in Vancouver for awhile. Mary came out for a while to Jean came to Toronto, Ontario when Jean went back to Scotland to get married the family went back to. Samuel's last job when returned to Aberdeen was with Messrs Lewis Morrison worked as a foreman in the closing department until they ceased manufacturing in 1925. He died at 68 I just don't know what day and year. I think Mary lived until about 84 I think she was born in 1867 I think I just don't have the exact date of birth for her.

Mary Mitchell had the title Lady according to my grandmother she said she didn't come from wealth was just a title. I think her middle initial is S. Was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Samuel had two other brother were long passed that are known George who was the crack Stonehaven Bowler and Archibald a shoemaker in Huntly. I have two different copies of the obituary of Samuel. I also have the birth certificate of Elsie Alexander who was born January 2, 1899 shows on there that Samuel and Mary were married September 29, 1887 in St. Nicholas I think that's in Wales when I looked at the atlas.

That's interesting that some of them were scholars what they were into. Maybe my grandmother might know that. Thanks very kindly for this info I really do appreciate it and the help

I see that to that Sam would have been too young to be in WW1. Who is Pam and Myrtle? Are they the ones who went to get the info? Did this info come from the PRO? I really do greatly appreciate this lookup is there anything more on them. Like where Samuel and Mary were born who there parents were? Any more brothers and sister that Samuel may have had other than what I know and if Mary had any too.

Was wondering if it would be possible to get more info on them would be interested in seeing about George and Archibald is there any way of getting info on him being the crack stonehaven bowler? Is it possible to see about Charlie and Sam's service records just to get general info like where and when they enlisted and where stationed?

I got the above posted info on Sam from the CWGC I printed that off but still don't have the info on Charlie? Have contacted the CWGC's other office in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and they are going to arrange whenever their group goes to Abderdeen there going to go to the Aberdeen (Nellfield) Cemetery as well as the Tyne Cot Cemetery in Belgium to getting a photo of the headstone of Sam and my other great great uncle Eric James Bate. Does the PRO hold military service records? Would be also interested in seeing if Charlie and Sam earned any medals and if they are listed on medal rolls especially the SWB roll. If any of you are going to or back to the PRO I would greatly appreciate it any further help and info. Thanks so kindly for all this help I am so overwhelmed with this I will not forget it.

Wanted to also add this in so I don't forget it. Some my relatives who were born in Scotland went back to try and track down their family tree history and also to see if they could any of their relatives and just had no luck getting what they needed. I don't know if they were looking in the wrong and or right places. I know that when WW2 was on that alot of documentation got lost in the battle of britain. I am not sure if they went back way before WW2 or way after WW2 and just came up empty on their search. I am glad to and greatful to know that the PRO has such great resources on census material and I would think military service records with such detail. With the latest info that keeps getting posted I am updating my tree accordingly as I go along with this research.

Isabella may not be part of the family. she is just born at a possible time in the same town as the others. Could be a relative or completely unconnected.

I think you should look at the Scotlands people site for more background,

or, is there an Alexander Clan organisation somewhere? If so, they should be able to help you.

Pam and Myrtle are the 2 members who have looked things up for you.

Drafter

Alexander Family

Samuel Farquhar Alexander’s parents were Henry Alexander (born circa 1830, Dyce, Aberdeen) and Isabella Ross (born circa 1847, Birse, Aberdeen). The children were:

Archibald Alexander born 16th December 1852, Kintore, Aberdeen

George Alexander born 23rd November 1854 Kintore, Aberdeen

Jane Elizabeth Alexander born 22nd October 1856 Kintore, Aberdeen

David Burness Alexander born 10th September 1857 Kintore, Aberdeen

Robert Alexander born 5th February 1860 Kintore Aberdeen

Henry Alexander born 10th August 1863 Durris, Kincardine

Isabella Alexander born 27th October 1865 Durris, Kincardine

Samuel Farquhar Alexander born 1st August 1868 Durris, Kincardine

Francis Shand Alexander born 5th September 1870 Durris, Kincardine

Samuel Farquahar Alexander married Mary Mitchell in the St Nicholas’ District of Aberdeen on 29th September 1887

Their children were:

Arthur Forbes (“Artie”) Alexander born 1888 Aberdeen

Mary Mitchell (“Molly”) Alexander born 1890 Aberdeen

Williamina Agnes (“Ina”) Alexander born 1895 Aberdeen

Charles Henry (“Charlie”) Alexander born 1897 Aberdeen

Elsie (“Elsie”) Alexander born 1899 Aberdeen

Isabella (“Belle”) Alexander born 1902 Aberdeen

Samuel Johnson (“Sam”) Alexander born circa 1904 Aberdeen

Jean Alexander

Mitchell Family

Mary Mitchell’s parents were Charles Mitchell and Mary Blackhall. They were married on 10th October 1857 at Tough, Aberdeen. By the time of the 1881 Census Charles was dead. Their children were:

Charles Mitchell born 6th February 1858 Tough, Aberdeen

Elspet Mitchell born 10th January 1860 Tough, Aberdeen

John Mitchell born 7th June 1862 Tough, Aberdeen

Mary Mitchell born 6th August 1864 Tough, Aberdeen

To check the details re Samuel Farquhar Alexander and Mary Mitchell's children as listed above you need to go to Scotlands People site which holds Census Records and Birth, Death and Marriage Details. You will need to register and pay for credits to go towards viewing the documents it will cost approx £1.20 to see a birth certificate, marriage certificate or death certificate. These are like the one you already have for Elsie. You can pay online by credit card and download the certificates or copies of the Census documents immediately.

Regards

Pam Linge

Thanks very kindly again I didn't that those were there parents plus I didn't know that Samuel had other brothers than the three I knew about didn't know he had sisters. I didn't anything about Mary wasn't sure if she was an only child or not. This helps me out even further. By any chance when the look up was done on Mary is that the furtherest it goes back to go? Was just wondering if there was any mention of a Forbes line somewhere within Mary's family. I have copy of a family crest that has Forbes and Mitchell combined I have been wondering how they fit into this line how they relate to her it was painted by Rabi Alexander the son of Artie and Aggie. I will post a picture of it in the followup I do also have the birth certificate of Elsie and two obituaries of Samuel which I will also post. Which census year was this latest info taken from? I fully understand that I would have to go in person to get copies of the birth, death and marriage certificates. The marriage certificate I have on Samuel and Mary is absolutly correct. The names of the children that are in bracket is what my grandmother knew them as. So when I was asking about that Isabella that's most likely the daughter as well because my grandmother knew her as just belle for short. Is this info coming from the PRO. I will also look at those other places sounds like that could help me out to.

I knew that Pam and Myrtle looked up the info I just didn't know which member it was is it linge? I greatly appreciate the help from each and everyone of you this has really made my week and day today thank you to all of you. I will never forget this help.

Thanks very kindly again I didn't that those were there parents plus I didn't know that Samuel had other brothers than the three I knew about didn't know he had sisters. I didn't anything about Mary wasn't sure if she was an only child or not. This helps me out even further. By any chance when the look up was done on Mary is that the furtherest it goes back to go? Was just wondering if there was any mention of a Forbes line somewhere within Mary's family. I have copy of a family crest that has Forbes and Mitchell combined I have been wondering how they fit into this line how they relate to her it was painted by Rabi Alexander the son of Artie and Aggie. I will post a picture of it in the followup I do also have the birth certificate of Elsie and two obituaries of Samuel which I will also post. Which census year was this latest info taken from? I fully understand that I would have to go in person to get copies of the birth, death and marriage certificates. The marriage certificate I have on Samuel and Mary is absolutly correct. The names of the children that are in bracket is what my grandmother knew them as. So when I was asking about that Isabella that's most likely the daughter as well because my grandmother knew her as just belle for short. Is this info coming from the PRO. I will also look at those other places sounds like that could help me out to.

I knew that Pam and Myrtle looked up the info I just didn't and don't which members they are? I greatly appreciate the help from each and everyone of you this has really made my week and day today thank you to all of you. I will never forget this help.

post-1-1109643353.jpg

The two obituaries on Samuel. Says he was 68 when he passed if he was born 1830 he would have passed in 1898 I kept thinking it would have in the 1940's sometime. I don't know which paper they came from.

post-1-1109643450.jpg

Samuel Farquhar Alexander was not born in the 1830s. He was born 1 aug 1868.

If the obituaries say he was 68 when he died , then he probably died in 1937.

His son Samuel Johnson Alexander died in WW2.

Your right my appologies I miss read his parents for his birthdate I see now that it is 1868. I would think 1936 or 37 would be correct. Here is the copy of the forbes mitchell crest I have. I don't know anything on the forbes how they fit in I don't know if this is Mary Mitchell's parents. The other thing is I think they may have been using a hypenated name like forbes-mitchell or mitchell forbes. On this crest I don't know who the groom or the bride would have been on this marriage. Mary Mitchell the one that married Samuel Farquhar Alexander she was known as Lady Mary Mitchell I have her photo. My grandmother told me that it was just a title and didn't come from wealth. I don't know if I mentioned this or not but I will add it in again Elsie Alexander is my grandmother's mother. What I was wondering if it would be possible to see if the census records for that time show any mitchells and forbes. I would be most interested and also curious to see how they fit into my tree. On that census of Mary Mitchell's family and her brothers and sisters does it just show the mitchell surname for them? Was just wondering if there were any hints, clues or facts if they were using the forbes name within it.

post-1-1109652259.jpg

I am still puzzled on this whole thing when I read the names of the children that Samuel Alexander and Mary Mitchell had only one of their children had the name Forbes in it I think for a middle name and that was Artie. But yet on Mary's family her and her sister and her brothers don't have the Forbes name in their family. What I am wondering is if Mary father Charles Mitchell's father used the Forbes name I wonder if it is Charles' mother that was a Forbes. On the crest shows Forbes of Criagievar and Mitchell of Chainstone are those places in Scotland? On the crest I post above the Forbes crest is first then Mitchell on the top and then Mitchell on the bottom the Forbes. With the Forbes crest being placed first does that represent the groom or the bride first? I am not famialiar at all how the crest gets put together. Was just wondering if it would be possible to see if there were any census records on Forbes that may connect them to the Mitchell line?

Going back to Charlie Alexander since his middle name was Henry I went back to MIC site and saw only three listings that were Charles H. Alexander all who were Prviates with all the corps they were with. Saw two listings again for Charles Alexander that were lance corporals one that had the middle intial E. which I know is not it and other one doesn't show a middle intial here is the listing on him. Is there anyway of confirming at the PRO if this is the right one from the photo I have? I realize that some of you were saying that the lance corporal rank was an ignored rank but just wanted to see if this might help to eliminate it even further? From the photo of Charlie can of you take a guess or make an interpretation of his uniform as to who he was with? Is there a roll for the 1st Gordon Highlanders? If so could I get a lookup done on him to see if he is listed? I was also wondering if it would be possible to get a lookup done on him to see if he is on the SWB roll and the other medal rolls?

Description Medal card of Alexander, Charles

Corps Regiment No Rank

1st Gordon Highlanders 8839 Lance Corporal

1st Gordon Highlanders 8839 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/1

I would greatly appreciate any help that can be given on this. Thanks very kindly again.

I was also wondering if I could get some clarification on the birthdate and birthplace for Isabella and Jean Alexander the daughters of Samuel and Mary. There's two different ones for Isabella shows born 1902 in Aberdeen then it was showing that there was an Isabella born in Huntly, Aberdeenshire in 1902. Is it the the Isabella that was born in Aberdeen that shows that she was apart of that household of Samuel and Mary from the last posting. As for Jean doesn't show where she was born and when from what was posted. Does this mean that it is not known on her? Would this be correct assume? Just been revising my family tree.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to check back on this posting I know this was from long ago. Still wondering if I can my last three postings made here clarified was looking to see if there was any more info at the NA like if there were any surnames being used like mitchell and forbes on this Alexander line. Put a image showing the mitchell and forbes crest and was looking to see if there were any forbes and mitchells that were together at the time my family doesn't know. Also the last posting I made regarding Jean and Isabella is there anyway of getting these birthdates clarified there seems to be two different ones on the census records. Would there be anyway of knowing which would be the correct one to assume is the one I am looking for? The previous info that has been posted here by other members was very helpful wasn't sure if I would ever uncover that much info I don't even think my family knew that much other than coming from Scotland and who was born first to last. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very kindly.

Drafter

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to check back again to see if I can get any further help or not on this posting would be greatly appreciate if I could some futher responses to close this down. Been looking at the link posted for Scottish census reports is that where the info came from on Samuel Alexander and his family and or was it from the NA? Or did it come from another source if so what would that have been? Trying to understand how to use that Scottish People census site link signed up I think but wont let me in if this where the info came from or from somewhere else could I please help on this would greatly appreciate it but will keep looking around in the mean. Thanks very kindly for any help. Drafter