Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Closures and cancellations affecting visiting due to virus

AOK4

Just to inform anyone planning to visit Flanders, that museums like MMP.1917 and IFF are closed as from today/tomorrow and that all cafés and restaurants will closed as from tomorrow as well...

I suspect things in France will be the same or will soon be the same.

Jan

Thanks…

• kenf48 locked this topic
  • DavidOwen unlocked this topic

I wonder if the Last Post Ceremony will still continue. Knowing the dedication of the LPA my guess is that it will. 

Edit. Just seen that it will go ahead, at least for now. 

Edited by sassenach

According to the latest news, the Last Post will go on … there will be less people and it IS outdoors.

For the rest, be aware that when travelling in Belgium:

• Hotels are open but their restaurants are NOT
  • restaurants, pubs, bars etc are CLOSED from midnight yesterday until the 3rd April. (Frietkot and drive ins may be open)
  • All shops that are not pharacies nor food related are CLOSED ON THE WEEK-ENDS (so you may go shopping for shoes in the week but not on the week-end… go figure)
  • there's no sports, no culture, no folklore for the next three weeks.
  • There may be controls on the border as to your temperature… the borders are not clossed yet, but it may come.

Stay safe, everyone!!

M.

I am not sure if have posted this in the correct place.

We are going to Ypres on Friday for 4 nights and fully intend to go unless the FCO says otherwise.

I have no idea how reliant on visitors the Ypres economy is - my question is do the Belgians still want us to come or are we going to add to the problem?

Many thanks for any advice.

Julia

• spof changed the title to Closures and cancellations affecting visiting due to virus

Julia,

for now there are no restrictions for people entering the country.

But the question is: what will you do in Ypres for food??? As said, the hotels are open but the restaurants not… you won't be able to have a coffee or a drink, or just relax on a terrasse.

As museums are also closed, there is not much you will be able to do.

Good luck,

Marilyne

The Belgian War Heritage Institute has announced that its sites the Royal Military Museum Brussels, Fort van Breendonk, Dodengang Diksmuide, Bastogne Barracks, Gunfire Brasschaat and Bunker Kemmelberg are now closed until 3 April.

Updated info from the Last Post Association this morning - playing of the Last Post will continue but that is all. No readings, no wreath laying, no bands, no interaction with the buglers etc

(Posted on their Facebook page this morning). 

Margaret

Thanks Marilyne & Everybody

Have just looked at our hotel's Facebook page. They will be delivering meals to their guests rooms but they don't know how long they may be able to carry on doing this.

The consequences of this virus are awful for everybody but as soon as the restrictions are lifted we will rebook.

For information, the Eurotunnel website seems to be saying you can rearrange crossings for up to a year in advance.

Regards

Julia

• Admin

I have seen on Facebook today that there’s a positive case of Covid 19  in Albert 

All cafés and restaurants are closed in France as well.

whats the news in France about supermarkets?

If we have 2 weeks off work then might cross over and do a bit of work on the house.

33 minutes ago, chaz said:

whats the news in France about supermarkets?

If we have 2 weeks off work then might cross over and do a bit of work on the house.

I read that shops that are "not essential" are closed as well. I don't know whether you will find DIY shops open at that point...

thanks, have most of what we need for work , presumably food shops are essential and deliveries will continue.

the eurotunnel say that their coaches only contain 5 vehicles so not over the limited persons limit and being deeper cleaned than normal each trip, 

wont be many people around the cemeteries so might get out. will give us a chance to get up to Belgium as well

On 15/03/2020 at 12:21, chaz said:

thanks, have most of what we need for work , presumably food shops are essential and deliveries will continue.

the eurotunnel say that their coaches only contain 5 vehicles so not over the limited persons limit and being deeper cleaned than normal each trip, 

wont be many people around the cemeteries so might get out. will give us a chance to get up to Belgium as well

You may want to postpone that trip, as France will be in lockdown for the next two weeks at least.

Stay at home at all times. Only "necessary trips" (like going to the supermarket to buy food, or to get to work) allowed.

No meeting with neighbours, friends, anyone. Not even outdoors.

Going for a walk or a jog? not allowed.

From BBC News:

French President Emmanuel Macron ordered a nationwide lockdown, starting on Tuesday at midday and lasting for at least two weeks.

Anyone breaking the quarantine could be punished

The European Union will close its borders for 30 days from tomorrow to external visitors from non-EU countries, Mr Macron said, but travel with Switzerland and the UK will be preserved

Edited by JWK

The Imperial War Museum have announced that with effect from Wednesday 18 March, their sites will be closed for the foreseeable future.

• Admin

A polite reminder of what I stated in post #4

Please restrict posts on this thread to items for information only.

Any other posts will be removed.

- no further discussion posts please.

• Admin

As David has said I closed this thread but we were asked to keep it open for information on Battlefield Tours and touring.  

It is intended for that purpose afaik the closure of Chelsea Flower Show,  the Dog and Duck etc  does not come within those terms of reference. 

There is a discussion thread in  Skindles though given the tone that is taking can’t say for how much longer.

Therefore can we keep this within information although as far as the U.K. is concerned the advice as of today is that all non essential travel should be avoided therefore this advice and border closures tend to make any other local factual information redundant.

Ken 

On 14/03/2020 at 08:12, julia jeffries said:

I am not sure if have posted this in the correct place.

We are going to Ypres on Friday for 4 nights and fully intend to go unless the FCO says otherwise.

I have no idea how reliant on visitors the Ypres economy is - my question is do the Belgians still want us to come or are we going to add to the problem?

Many thanks for any advice.

Julia

Just returned, being in Ypres as the lockdown started on Saturday.

When we left on the Monday the supermarkets were still open (no panic buying) , as were bakeries, chocolate shops and takeaways. Everything else was shut. You could get  coffee from takeaways, but could not drink it on the premises.