Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of New Zealand Soldiers in a Trench at the Battle of Flers-Courcelette

PDGRIFFITHS

I believe I have identified the New Zealand Soldiers standing in a trench taken at the Battle of Flers-Courcelette on the 15th September 1916

It can be viewed on the Imperial War Museum Site. The soldiers are usually referred as being from 2/Auckland Battalion.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205193935

One I have identified as my Great Uncle, Douglas Rawei McLean (6/1917) (6th from the left, hold rifle in right hand) who was serving in the Canterbury Section, 2nd Company, New Zealand Machine Gun Corps at the time. The other soldiers I believe are also members of the same unit.

I include a document that details my evidence below.

Trench_Canterbury_photo_comparison.pdf

Edited by PDGRIFFITHS

It is important that the soldiers are recognised in this photo. For a long time they have been misidentified as belonging to the 2/Auckland Battalion, when they are actually from the 2nd Company, New Zealand Machine Gun Corps.

The 2 machine gun teams and the company commander had been called up as part of a defensive position, once Switch Trench had been taken by the 2nd Brigade, which included the 2/Auckland Battalion.

It is even more important, that their stories are told, when you realise that by the end of the battle, 2 would be killed and 5 wounded, 3 severely.

For those killed this is probably the last photo taken of them. Private Thomas Hazleton died from his wounds on the same day the photo was taken and Private George Coup at the end of the battle on the 29/9/1916.

Later in the morning the OC, Captain John Parks was wounded and evacuated. Command passing to 2nd in command, Captain McKnight.

On the next day, 16/9/1916, one of the gun teams, which include Lance Corporal Douglas McLean, Sergeant George Clark and Private Cyril Dugdale was hit by Artillery fire.

Lance Corporal Douglas McLean was slightly wounded, even though evacuated, he returned to duty, in a few days.

Private Cyril Dugdale was severely wounded and was eventually repatriated back to New Zealand and discharged unfit for military service. He was only 19.

Sergeant George Clark was severely wounded. He was eventually evacuated to England, but died of his wounds on 5/1/17 at Chelsea Hospital London and buried at Brookwood Cemetery, England.

Sergeant Ernest Carr was wounded on the 20/9/1916 eventually evacuated to England and spent time at Brokenhurst and Codford hospitals recovering. Eventually posted to the Machine Gun Depot at Grantham in January 1917. Repatriated to NZ in April 1918 and discharged on his return.

• PDGRIFFITHS changed the title to Identification of New Zealand Soldiers in a Trench at the Battle of Flers-Courcelette
  • 2 weeks later...

It is interesting to note that the “The Long, Long Trail” uses a photo from the IWM series of photos that also includes the “Soldiers in a Trench” photo”.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/chronology-of-the-great-war/timeline-september-1916/

Technically the caption is correct, because these are New Zealand soldiers under British command. The soldiers crossing the trench are probably from one of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade Battalions advancing to get in position for the 2nd wave of the attack.

Two of the soldiers that I believe I have identified in the “Soldiers in the Trench”(Q194) photo appear in this photo (Q188) as well. Sergeant Clark (9/550), standing foreground centre and Private Dugdale (7/1737) head is seen between the legs of the soldier crossing the trench. The other soldiers in the trench are probably also in the “Soldiers in a Trench” photo”, but cannot be identified.

I speculate that the two photos where probably taken near in time and place to each other.

In fact the series of IWM photos Q184 – Q195 seems to document the NZ Divisions involvement in the first phase of the Flers – Courcelette Battle.

The other photo mentioned in my research, Q184 “Resting in a Shell Hole” also appears in the above series.

wow, great job !!

m.

Excellent job PD.  Will be thinking of them (as we of the NZ forces) whenever we are in or going through Flers.  That is very often but the next trip may not be for a while yet!

Reg

On 20/08/2013 at 09:33, jacksdad said:

post-60057-0-53510500-1376948006_thumb.j

Switch Trench with 2/Aucklanders

This photo has been used in previous posts to illustrate previous topics

Of course at the time the wrong caption was used

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely brilliant, PD ... great to know the (correct) history of this iconic NZEF photo ... and just in time for ANZAC day.

Well done ! 

Steve

Edited by smclaren

Thank you to everyone who has commented favourably on the work I have done to provide evidence on identifying the soldiers in the photo.

I have been approaching photo archives and those websites that have used the photo, to ask if they would, on the strength of the evidence, change the caption used to describe the photo. The most important photo archive is the one held by the Imperial War Museum, London, because they are now the keeper of the original series of photos. So far my effort to change the photo captions they use has not been successful, even after providing them with the evidence.

I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestion on how I could get the IWM to update their photo captions? This is important, as other photo archives and photo users rely on the IWM to have accurate records.

With the approaching ANZAC Day commemorations cancelled, I have also tried to get the media interested in publishing my evidence; so far I have not been successful. Unfortunately, it seems with the passing of the centenary commemorations, they are no longer interested in publicising Great War articles. Is this the experience of others?

Edited by PDGRIFFITHS

On 13/04/2020 at 11:36, PDGRIFFITHS said:

Unfortunately, it seems with the passing of the centenary commemorations, they are no longer interested in publicising Great War articles. Is this the experience of others?

Absolutely ... it almost feels like a line has been drawn through the memory of the Great War and society has moved on.

I sent an email through to the PM of NZ asking if they would consider asking the good folk of NZ to scour their family photo albums, letters, keep sakes etc for any and all WW1 stuff and submit it to the excellent Auckland On-Line Cenotaph ... as an alternative to traditional ANZAC day celebrations for 2020.

Didn't even get a response. 😕

Edited by smclaren

Hi, this is great work but you shouldn't give up on the media. It's true their interest peaked with the centenary, but outlets such as Mail Online (whatever your view of their politics!) still carry articles about WWI, especially where there is a strong visual element. The website has huge global reach and has a separate staff from the Daily Mail newspaper. If possible it's good to write a news story yourself and send it to them so they can run it with a minimum of effort, as they have a very small staff. Their email details are here, but it's better to speak to someone if possible. If you ring the number given and ask for Mail Online you may or not get through: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/contactus/index.html

I have to say New Zealand is very much in the news over here as one of the two intensive care nurses praised by Boris Johnson is a Kiwi and her family were widely interviewed over the weekend. On the basis of that, I would strike while the iron is hot. The other angle is cancellation of the ANZAC Day commemorations, which is obviously highly topical.

If not, just keep trying. Daily Express and Daily Telegraph also carry WWI articles from time to time. If you get UK media coverage you can use it to put some weight on your own journos.

Good luck!

John

Edited by johntaylor

Thank you for the encouragement and suggestions. I will follow them up and let you know how I get on.

Good luck - and keep us posted! This is an example of a similar photo story which appeared in the Mail - it was based on research for my book, which they kindly credited at the end. The article was picked up by other media as well, so it can be done: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3824281/British-soldiers-survived-Ypres-happened-went-home.html

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent work... The mood in NZ media is for sensationalism about Covid 19, the PM, Mosque shootings et al.  See if someone at "NZ on Air" is interested...They provide funding for TV programme makers. 

regards Roger H in sunny Taranaki