Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

39505 Private W Rae


megans grandad

Recommended Posts

Died 17 October 1917 aged 48. Buried in Kirk Patrick churchyard IOM, he was a member of RDC - 332 Coy and I guess a guard at the nearby Knockaloe Internment Camp.

Can anyone throw up any earlier service record or details on this soldier?

I have his CWGC link.

IMG_4374.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect that this William Rae was born c 1869

 

He has a couple of entries in Soldiers Effects but no beneficiary seems to be recorded ? He has a War Gratuity of  GBP 3-5-00.

It was advertised in a List

954422257_GWFRaeWeffectsnotice.JPG.7c025955e8b99da1386c6ebeeafbe95e.JPG

 

@ss002d6252 can you tell us where this would be advertised ?

 

Charlie

 

Edit- couldn't see a Pension card either

Edited by charlie962
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That also includes 

331 boy

 

Is that an earlier enlistment I wondered but couldn't link it to W Rae. But I am quite likely to be misreading the information

 

George

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yes...prefer Boots myself cos they do hearing as well. What?

Anyway what is the word before Coy please?

image.png.adcec039c77dbd8cd7528f8d3d1bbec5.png

George

And list 517? 

 

George

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, George Rayner said:

Oh yes...prefer Boots myself cos they do hearing as well. What?

Anyway what is the word before Coy please?

image.png.adcec039c77dbd8cd7528f8d3d1bbec5.png

George

Protection Company.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay-just couldn't get Proct to read protection. 

 

Thanks

 

George

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I suspect that this William Rae was born c 1869

 

He has a couple of entries in Soldiers Effects but no beneficiary seems to be recorded ? He has a War Gratuity of  GBP 3-5-00.

It was advertised in a List

954422257_GWFRaeWeffectsnotice.JPG.7c025955e8b99da1386c6ebeeafbe95e.JPG

 

@ss002d6252 can you tell us where this would be advertised ?

 

Charlie

 

Edit- couldn't see a Pension card either

It's the unclaimed effects list, it was printed in the London Gazette and copies sent to post offices.

 

The £3 5s gratuity tells us straight away he never served overseas - it's for 13 months service.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

It's the unclaimed effects list

Thanks Craig. Is this searchable on Lon Gaz site ? What would be the key words ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Thanks Craig. Is this searchable on Lon Gaz site ? What would be the key words ?

They are but they're a pain to find due to OCR and indexing. They typically give no more information than in the effects.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information and update.

I had hoped to glean some information from the Knockaloe Internment Camp & Patrick Visitor Centre however for reasons best known to them it seems they are reluctant to release any details which might be of help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...