Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Cemetery and Extension High Wood

nicburch

Hello 

i understand that the cemetery started with burials within a large shell hole and is preserved. Which part of cemetery is it located? 

3 hours ago, nicburch said:

Hello 

i understand that the cemetery started with burials within a large shell hole and is preserved. Which part of cemetery is it located? 

Where did you get this information from and have looked at the CWGC website for information on this cemetery 

5 hours ago, nicburch said:

Hello 

All of the graves are in rows, so I'm not sure this is correct. The original graves are the ones closest to the road, I believe.

Yes, the graves nearest the road are the originals. Not sure about the shell hole though. 

5 hours ago, nicburch said:

Hello 

1.  CWGC:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/2090400/london-cemetery-and-extension,-longueval/

2.  London Cemetery and Extension:

A few days after High Wood was taken, 47 officers and men from the London battalions that had taken it were buried in a large shell hole opposite the south-west face of the wood, just beyond the road. This became the London Cemetery, and is there today. Although there is now a larger Extension to the rear, the front part nearest the road comprises the 47 burials mentioned above

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/high-wood/

JP

I think it might be this group: the extension is to the right through the entrance, the wood is to the left and in the distance is the spire of Longueval church.

Pete.

1776572724_LondonCemeteryandLongueval.JPG.6151ea6789b30a0642163bf1a131638d.JPG

I also think the key to that section is the large memorial stone that my mate Charlie is reading; what is written on it is here....... The source is www.ww1cemeteries.com.

Pete

London Cemetery at High Wood was originally designed by JS Hutton in 1922 and was completed before the extension was decided upon. It had a Type A1 Cross of Sacrifice which was removed, along with the original entrance gate and frontage. The headstones in the front four individual rows do not mark actual graves. This is part of the 1922 blueprint >

1953354502_LondonCemeteryHighWoodoriginalconstruction.JPG.20e52f4c8ae7e9f8a065667d57e388fd.JPG

Thanks Tom, what a wonderful document.

Pete.

Many thanks all, whilst on the subject of this cemetery, whilst looking south over Caterpillar Valley is the church spire of Montauban visible?

Yes. The spire is centre right with Caterpillar Valley cemetery on the far left. The cemetery is not in the valley which is over to the far right.

image.png.0781060cb9d002499a01f15032d5fcc5.png