Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bart's and Guy's Loos Sept 1915

onesearch

TEW, 

That is a very much appreciated reply and a far more extensive one than I could have imagined when I asked the original question.  Its obvious that you must have spent a considerable time in researching this topic, thank you very much indeed. You have filled in a gap in the history of the 6th battalion KOSB which I thought might never be possible. Once again, thank you,

Rod

No problem Rod, all part of a learning curve and it ties in with a 1st Division project I worked on some time ago.

TEW

TEW,

Just thinking about Guy' and Bart's again and I wondered if you knew how long they were there for.

I feel a bit like Oliver asking for more, but wondered if you came across anything in your research that might indicate when they were moved or closed,

Thank you,

Rod

Offhand I don't know. I'm sure the French pulled back from that part of the line some months earlier. By the time the British took over, nature had taken back much of the landscape and trenches were in ruins.

My guess is that the location was prefered as it was perceived to be slightly safer perhaps and near enough to the railway. I also think the two locations were consistently used as battalion etc HQs for the same reasons.

Why they chose medical nicknames I can't say, there was also a Harley St somewhere in the area.

Will see what I have at home.

TEW

Thank you TEW. It would be interesting to hear if you do come across anything about this. I have not come across 'Harley St.' but I will have a look to see if I can find its location. Many of the trenches were named after familiar landmarks, I suppose that Guy's  Bart's and Harley St. fell into that catagory too, but with a sense of the macabre. Black humor.

Harley Street runs N-S from 36cNW1 A14 Central near Pont Fixe on the canal  to A20 Central  T Junction at Bubure

I had a look through material at home and found some info in Medical Services: General History, available free online. Didn't think it added much as it repeats the diary information.

If you have access to Ancestry it may be worth searching the WWI Diaries for the terms Barts and Guys, with & without an apostrophe in the keyword box just to see what comes up, IE who and when do the entries relate to.

TEW