Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Sparky53

Medal Roll Theatre of War

Sparky53

I am trying to verify a newspaper cutting that my Grandfather served in France and Salonika.

His Medal Index Card has not been filled in in the Theatre of War and date first entered sections :(

He was NOT entitled to 1914 or 1915 Stars so what would be the earliest date he could have been in a theatre of war?

I see the 27th Division moved from France to Salonika so I am trying to find if he could possibly have been with them.

In the Medal Roll Entry for him in the first column Theatre of War there is a circle possibly an "O" or zero with a tick through it written in pencil.

Can anyone shed any light on what this means?

Cheers

Jane

Kate Wills

What has made you plump for 27th Division Jane?

22nd, 26th and 28th Divisions made the same move from the Western Front in November, down to Marseilles by very slow train, and embarked up the Med. for Saloinka.

Could you post the cutting and card to see if we can glean anything else?

Sparky53

I have no real reason for plunping for 27 Div just thinking aloud really and visiting a website about 27 Div moving from Western Front to Salonika. The website refers to Macedonia and malaria other key words re Grandad

28 Div could be good bet too though.

Here is my careful transcription of MIC

Jane

post-31-1108215893.jpg

Max

Hello Jane

If your Grandad had been with the 27th or 28th Division at the time of their move from France to Salonika he would have been entitled to at least the 1914/15 Star as they transferred at the end of October 1915.

Andy

Sparky53

Here is Newspaper cutting when Grandad received a BEM in 1955. Mum has his BEM I have no idea what happened to his WW1 medals.

With a brother killed, the other wounded and a MM recipient and apparently his brother in law teased him for not being an Infantryman I expect grandad didn't speak much of his war experience - quite sad really.

post-31-1108216677.jpg

Kate Wills

Jane

I think your best bet is to find the Absent Voters List for Abertillery or Longton, and see if it mentions his unit.

Other than that, can you get to the National Archives to see if his service records survived? Do you have any other ephemera relating to him, such as Old Comrades magazines? He may have been a member of his local branch of the Salonika Reunion Association. It mat be worth getting in touch with the County Records Office/local archives etc to see if they have anything.

Sparky53

Cheers Kate

I have looked at the PRO and his record doesn't survive

But I have just checked at 1837 when he married and it was March Quarter 1918

I would be surprised if his Marriage cert doesn't mention War Time service even if he wasn't seving then though the newspaper cutting suggests he doesn't return to Longton till 1920

Looks like another £7 to Stoke CC

Jane

Sparky53

Bingo

I found the marriage cert at my mum's thus saving £7

It says they married 11 March 1918

Harold Arthur Ridge - Bachelor - Profession Soldier - 208 Company Army Service Corps BEF

May be he never did go to France?

Jane

Nick Cooper
Bingo

I found the marriage cert at my mum's thus saving £7

It says they married 11 March 1918

Harold Arthur Ridge - Bachelor - Profession Soldier - 208 Company Army Service Corps BEF

May be he never did go to France?

Jane

The main site states the company, "Formed December 1914. Served as 22 Reserve Park. Did not proceed to France but was later converted into 12 Auxiliary HT Company and sent to Salonika."

There's is a War Diary at Kew for the 208th covering July 1916 to April 1919:

12 Auxiliary Horse Transport Company (208 Company ASC) formerly 22 Reserve Park

Of course, this presupposes he was always in that Company...

Sparky53

Nick

Thanks for that - will check when next at Kew

The marriage cert was a big break through worth other pals checking if they have hit a seeming brick wall as I thought I had

Jane