Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme battlefield map book

RobinS

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Trench maps or modern day maps? 

• Admin

Any particular phase of the battle? 

• Admin

As far  as I know there isn't just a map book for the Somme battles. You will probably need a general overview with maps included in the book. The Somme by Peter Hart has maps of situations at certain dates. The day by day account by Chris McCarthy also has maps, but this is a scarce book these days. 

Michelle 

• Admin

Hi Robin, an interesting question you have posed. I would think that to cover the whole of the first battle of the Somme in one book it would be a huge undertaking if one were to go into detail. It took place over a large area of land and lasted from 1st July 1916 to the 18th November 1916 involving thousands of men in umpteen regiments. Not to mention the diversionary attack on Gommecourt in the North of the area. A book that I have heard of called 'A lack of offensive spirit' by Alan MacDonald, covers this attack. If you have a particular soldier that you are interested in, then probably best to investigate the area that he and his regiment were in for a start. Recently I have been looking at Guillemont, it came as a huge surprise to find out the number of men and regiments that were involved in one small area of the whole Somme front. But then no surprise in reality. Best of luck and thanks to @Michelle Young for her suggestions. Regards, Bob.