Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Messines & Ploegsteert

Marilyne

Hi all, 

in dire need of training before the Kennedymarch in April... I'm going to the Mesen Memorial March next sunday... another little walk on the Salient!! 

I don't have the tracks, but based on the description, the 24km will pass: 

• MESSINES RIDGE

Ploegsteert, meaning: 

• PLUG STREET cemetery & memorial
  • BERKS

kaki chums and woods, so probably:

• STRAND, RIFLE HOUSE, MUD CORNER

and we're passing Wulvergem, the Pool of Peace, so maybe: 

• KANDAHAR FARM
  • LA PLUS DOUVE
  • LONE TREE 

I can't guarantee them all, and maybe the tracks will bring us next to some more... but I'm not afraid of walking a bit more to get to a cemetery if you need me to... if the weather's nice, I feel a good photoshoot coming up... (@Pete: got some new rocket-launcher sized toys..) 

Have a nice end of your week-end all, 

M.

Can we have a photograph of the rocket launcher with new attachments? Will you have to use a lorry for transporting them?

I'll have a think about some photos from Messines, I took one from by the pill boxes in front of the New Zealand Memorial about ten years ago and managed to get a bush in front of Ontario Farm. If you are still coming over to Birmingham in two weeks we can discuss.......

Pete.

Thanks Marilyne,

I would appreciate one photo at Berks Cemetery Extension :

George Lewis  :  Grave Ref. I . N. 7

BillyH.

17 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Can we have a photograph of the rocket launcher with new attachments? Will you have to use a lorry for transporting them?

I'll have a think about some photos from Messines, I took one from by the pill boxes in front of the New Zealand Memorial about ten years ago and managed to get a bush in front of Ontario Farm. If you are still coming over to Birmingham in two weeks we can discuss.......

Pete.

coming to Birmingham yes… but the march is next Sunday…

M.

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

coming to Birmingham yes… but the march is next Sunday…

Good point; I'd not read the original post properly. Schoolboy error. Let me have a think and come back to you..........

Pete.

Marilyne, if you are in Messines and locality and if convenient can you photograph the following, to make up for my laughable ability as a photographer in the area over the last decade or so:

The grave of Ronald Poulton Palmer in Hyde Park Corner opposite the memorial. He's in B.11. I photographed him when you and I were last there but the photo of came out looking like the stone was made of icing sugar. I think my mind was still on the waffles at L'Auberge.....

If you happen to be in Messines Cemetery can you take a photo which takes in Ontario Farm, just south of east and Spanbroekmolen, or two photos that I can merge into a panorama if you haven't quite got the wide angle. The one I have was taken too far back in the cemetery, Ontario Farm is just out of shot and the Pool of Peace is behind some trees.

If you are at the Pool of Peace can you walk round to the north side and see if you can see the spires of Ypres? If you can can you photograph them please?  Every time I go to Spanbroekmolen I start looking to the south towards the slag heaps at Loos and the Vimy ridge, and then I start looking at the level of the water in the pool (which never seems to change). I think the position was so important being on the watershed between the Lys and the Yser, if you can see Ypres that confirms my view.

Absolutely no problem if you can't do it; now I know what I'm looking for I can do it for myself next time. Have a great time, hope the weather is good so you don't have to wear the pineapple hat. Not that there is anything wrong with the pineapple hat........

Pete.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 23:50, BillyH said:

Thanks Marilyne,

I would appreciate one photo at Berks Cemetery Extension :

George Lewis  :  Grave Ref. I . N. 7

BillyH.

Sorry… the march has been cancelled, due to the big Charlie Victor, so I'm afraid there will be nothing much to take photographs of…

But I'm keeping it in mind in case I pass there another time.

M.

Edited by Marilyne

47 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

The grave of Ronald Poulton Palmer in Hyde Park Corner opposite the memorial. He's in B.11. I photographed him when you and I were last there but the photo of came out looking like the stone was made of icing sugar. I think my mind was still on the waffles at L'Auberge.....

I have the Following pics from Ronald, from another visit.

1946325716_CraterSmurf01JUN14021.JPG.1945d924cd667a1ec0e51cbee7824f38.JPG

1802122112_CraterSmurf01JUN14023.JPG.03853e7a94235bad3a2d6ab4876399fa.JPG

1788786118_CraterSmurf01JUN14025.JPG.d2b8d01e46970598cb75ec390f84c4e6.JPG

made these 2016

M.

No problem Marilyne, it's unlucky that the event has been cancelled.The photo of Poulton Palmer's grave is great, and the wreath is really helpful to what I want to do too. It mentions him playing for Liverpool, not the soccer team but the much older rugby team; which is something I hope to write about.

Pete.

I might post the photos that I took from the ridge; they are worth it for the comedy value, I could annotate them to point out which bush or tree is obscuring which point of interest. Say high to bear for me.

Pete

Do you know that the battlefield cross of Ronald Poulton Palmer is in Holywell Churchyard Oxford? I paid my respects at it when I was using the Balliol archives in the adjacent church. Not sure whether I have a photograph, but I will be nearby in April.

Keith

I didn't know that Keith, and your offer is totally spondicious and much appreciated.

Pete.

P.S. That little patch of Heuvelland has another Merseyside union connection in Kemmel churchyard, with Kendall and Turner's special memorials, also part of what I hope to write......

DSCN2865.JPG.6e4bf732926a0cd035c3336c3801f87d.JPG

Photo - Kevin McDonnell.

I can't find a pic of the Poulton-Palmer battlefield cross, and my lunch in April has been cancelled, but I still hope to fit in a trip to oxford around that time so will take a stroll that way. It is a special graveyard packed with history. Even the original founder of a nearby bookshop and publishing enterprise is to be found there.

Here's the lads in question circa 1913 https://www.liverpoolsthelensrugby.co.uk/page116a.html

Dave

Thank you gentlemen. Along with an offer of assistance from Daggers my cup runneth over. I just hope I can do them justice.

Pete.

if you need any other picture… best date I can give you right now will the 11th November… if Corona hasn't killed us all by then, I intent to run the Remembrance half marathon in Ploegsteert again this year.

Training has started… as it's the only thing we're allowed to do apart from shopping for groceries…

M.