Remembered Today:

1915 Star part engraved

captain caveman

12 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear TullochArd,

By all means show it to me!
Kindest regards,

Kim.

Sure Kim, It's at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7555331 ......from this link you can see all the detail through the watermarks using the "preview image" function. Regards.  Ian.

Edited by TullochArd

Dear Ian,

I am not clear on that, but here is his Medal Index Card and a2105018674_MICMajT.K.Gaskell.jpg.3589ee0c737b3e7907f4528fed45e7eb.jpg1080249642_MajorThomasKershawGaskellDec1911.jpg.b0eb35d7b5ec263e8bae9ca48bcfd3d8.jpg1056347496_MajGaskell15TrioandDurbar11obv.jpg.792eb262c8a13bc64f3b89069c28cfb8.jpg pre-Great War Image (in Burma).

T. K. Gaskell also had an unconfirmed Delhi Durbar 1911...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Interesting.  

So between the two MICs we have a confirmed WO/IO discourse/authority for a BWM and an acknowledgement of an application for a 14/15 Star which is then recorded as not actioned/not awarded in accordance with the quoted references ...…. which frankly totally beat me.

I'm aware that the BWM was awarded to certain "unqualified regular and mobilised personnel who did not see active service" and the existing paperwork (so far) suggests this  might be the basis for the WO/IO decision here …….. TKG may well have been in France (91 Punjabis as a unit were not) but he simply fell outside the qualification criteria. 

The award of a single BWM did not automatically attract a BVM and this adds to the possibly of two (three if you count your reference to DD/11) medals lacking documented evidence.  Not unheard of but the possibility of a serial "selfie" here.

P.S.  As a side issue: under the "unqualified regular and mobilised personnel who did not see active service" clause there are some who, bizarrely considering that well touted "risk and rigour" principle of British medallic recognition, never even left the UK and received the BWM …… but that's another topic for another day.

Deleted

Edited by Matlock1418
Deleted as now out of date! :-/

Dear Ian and Matlock1418,

Thanks for your interest.

Part of the problem as I see it, was the fact that T. K. Gaskell had two Military brothers, both highly decorated, and one of whom gained very high rank.

Our Major Gaskell spent his war at the Indian Army Depot in Marseilles.

Therefore the BWM entitlement only.

However, I would not be surprised if he had in fact visited one of his brothers unofficially at the Front in France. Be that as it may, he clearly thought he deserved a 15 Star, and actually made a Claim.

The Delhi Durbar 1911 is a bit more tricky.

Both his brothers are on the Military Roll as confirmed awardees. Unfortunately a Roll is missing (!), which apparently listed civilian and miscellaneous 1911 recipients. Here again, T. K. Gaskell may well have attended the Durbar.

Having said that, everything points to the likelihood (possibly even influenced by the well-situated Mrs Gaskell) that he awarded himself "selfie" medals.

Kindest regards,

Kim.